Saturday, September 19, 2009

Trying to find the silver lining

My knitting mojo is back! I bought some yarn yesterday with the intentions of knitting a cardigan from the new Knitty but didn't like the looseness of the ribbing so I found another pattern in an old magazine I've got and have begun a sweater...just for me! I don't normally knit for myself so this is my birthday present to me. Tom was going to get me some dvds but I told him not to bother because I could get those from the library if I wanted to watch them but this will give me hours of pleasure while I watch those dvds from the library. Plus I have wanted a black cardigan for a few years now but never could justify the money for it. I'm using Caron Simply Soft Eco which is a lot nicer than the normal Caron. It's not as shiny and doesn't feel as plastic. Much softer than most acrylics though.

I finished the shopping bag and it turned out well. Nearly done with the amulet/charm bag necklace although it's rather plain. The next one I'll fancy up with cables or beads or something. The sock is coming along although last night I frogged back more than I knit. It's hard when you keep falling asleep while knitting. And I'm very close to being done with my water shawl. So I'll have a fire shawl as well as water. I still have some brown Homespun but I think I want to crochet with that instead of knitting. That will be my earth shawl. No idea what to use for air.

I didn't get any yard work done today. I woke up at 6 a.m. in pain and took a tramadol but it didn't seem to help a lot. I didn't take another one until around 2 though. Then I added some ibuprofen and that combination worked for a while. I haven't had a full-blown flare-up since spring so I'm pretty lucky. I've had pain at night or pain once in a while but not pain rated 7+ all day for a long time. I plan on soaking in the tub tonight with some Epsom salts and going to bed early. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have the energy to get to the yard. If not, next weekend will do. I talked to Tom about my plan to turn the area behind the garage into an herb garden/meditation/ fairy garden (which is just a place where I've got lots of pretty flowers blooming). He seems okay with it.

Especially since he's going to start work on the bathroom this week. He's been antsy about that so I told him to go ahead. I'll cut back somewhere else because we need to get it done before winter. There is a gap that is open to the basement and that will send a lot of heat where we don't want it and the cold will come up from there. Plus the paint wouldn't dry because we keep the house too cool in the winter.

So things are looking up in spite of the dire outlook financially. We have a roof over our heads, we won't go hungry and we'll be able to get to work and school. Plus, we still have insurance.

Not so lucky for my oldest though. He lost his job this week which means losing his insurance. And with hypertension and diabetes I worry about him battling another insurance company over those pre-existing conditions. He'll do well to pay his child support but he'll lose his apartment and his car most likely. He has a friend to stay with and he'll get unemployment but it's still a rotten existence.

Well, supper needs tending so I'll sign off for tonight.

TTFN

No comments: