Sunday, September 13, 2009

How I survived the weekend

I slept the weekend away. Nearly. I took a sleeping pill (OTC) Friday night and slept pretty much most of the night, woke up at 10 a.m. and felt so groggy that I swore I wouldn't do it again. I was back in bed at noon and slept off and on (mostly on) until 5 p.m. when I woke up. And I mean woke up. Wide awake. And wondering if I was going to be able to get back to sleep at all.

By 6:30 I was groggy again but I was busy and didn't get back to sleep until 11 p.m. I ended up sleeping off and on until 7:25 a.m. when Professor woke me up...five minutes before the alarm went off. Dang it.

And I'm still groggy. No more sleeping pills for me. Unless I end up with a 3 month long insomnia kick again in which case I'll take half a pill and see if that works better.

Church today was pretty unsettling. The organist wasn't there, which is okay. We've done without her before but there is a woman there whom I try so very hard to love but who feels like she is assistant priest or something because her late husband was the deacon there. Anyway she tried to start songs and during Eucharist, when I like to just meditate for a bit, she decided we needed a mini-sermon and started singing a song expecting everyone to join in. Hardly anyone did so she abruptly stopped the song. I'm not sure why because I had my eyes tightly shut trying to concentrate on anything but her.

Part of me feels like a jerk and part of me is feels justifyingly annoyed. I'm latching onto the latter and claiming it because I don't want to feel like a jerk.

Professor is calmer now so I suspect it was a female in heat somewhere. Tom mentioned that he might not be responding to the female, since he's been neutered, but instead is responding to all the male dogs in the area who aren't and are sending off all the testosterone. 'Cause now he's calm and sleeping at night and not getting agitated by Mr. Chipmunk. I wonder if there is a spray for that.

I'm feeling a bit re-charged now and plan on getting back to work on projects both knitting, drawing and working around the house. It's almost time to winterize the house and I don't have the spring cleaning done yet.

I also want to get some baking and cooking done so I can pop things in the freezer to prepare for those moments when I don't have anything to cook.

But I'm going to start out a bit slow and not overdo it so I don't end up barely moving again.

I had to run to the store today and when I got more than halfway there, I started shaking. I didn't have my glucometer with me because I had left it by the computer so I couldn't take my sugar but I never shake like that when it's high...only when it's low. I didn't want to eat anything sugary because I didn't know how low so I stopped and grabbed a sandwich and within half an hour, I was fine. It was a scary feeling so I need to remember to take my testing supplies with me all the time. I thought I would be fine because I had a tiny bit of syrup this morning. Guess not. I must do better at monitoring.

And my physical is set up for a week and a half from now so I'll be glad to get it over with. This year I'm not going to panic and try to lose 20 pounds in a week. It is what it is. I can do better and will try but I'm not going to beat myself up for not doing better in time for the physical.

I'm also not going to let the furnace temps run as low this year as we did last year. Somehow we'll figure it out but I'm not going to be that cold again.

Well, off to get ready for bed because I'm still groggy. Definitely not taking one of those little blue pills again.

TTFN

1 comment:

knittingdragonflies said...

I don't like sleeping pills either, I have taken melatonin once or twice when I was in a big anti sleep mode, I think it helped, or did it help because I thought I would?
Anyway
Take care
Vicki