Sunday, September 6, 2009

Janet Jackson, move aside

I bought a shirt at the thrift store that I really liked, knew if fit me but hadn't worn it before. On the way to church I had a wardrobe malfunction. The buttons wouldn't stay buttoned. And as I didn't have a t-shirt on under it, I was feeling mighty exposed and self-conscious. Was I going to spend the whole service clutching my shirt, keeping myself covered? Nope. I dropped Zach off at the door, told the priest I had a wardrobe malfunction and would be back and raced to StuffMart which was all that was opened at that time of morning.

Zach was acolyte so there was no option to just go home and try again next week. I found two black knit shirts that looked good, didn't have a neckline that dipped to my navel and were on sale. So I bought them both. I raced back to church, parked between two trucks and changed in the car (I learned a long time ago how to change clothes without exposing any skin so I was very safe where I was.) I made it in the doors during the peace. Whew!

Mary (our priest) told me I was lucky because Prayers of the People was form VI which she knows is not my favorite one. It's not that I dislike it, I just prefer contrition while kneeling and not standing. An absolute personal preference.

Although today my knees groaned loudly at the communion rail. In fact it was nearly a scream that only I heard. I sent Tom to the store for some Aspercreme or Capsaicin. I might have to ask for my arthritis meds to be refilled. I hope not and am guessing it's just because the weather changed. Professor's back leg seems to be bothering him, too, and I think he has arthritis also.

Of course if I would just get busy and exercise that would help. Motivation..I needs some.

I'm going to try walking Professor at night from now on to see if he will sleep through the night instead of waking me up four times an hour. Maybe if he gets to sniff out Mr. Chipmunk from next door early in the evening, he won't go nuts at 3 a.m. anymore. I had such high hopes for last night because I was fighting sleep all day. I did manage to sleep very well from midnight to 2:30 a.m. when the chipmunk came to visit. I'm also trying to not reward him for his yapping by not responding to him. I even removed the ottoman from the window so he can't stand up in the window and yap all night long. That part worked. When he couldn't get to the window his hysteria cut off abruptly. But his insistence on going outside is what we need to work on. I wouldn't mind getting up to take him out for a wee, but he just wants to wander all over the yard after the scent.

I did forgive my husband for cleaning up the kitchen at 4 a.m. because he really was trying to be quiet. And he kept the television very low.

Coffee hour was great today. I've honestly never been in a church that is so loving and supportive. I've been there nearly 3 years and not an hint of any kind of squabble or personality clash. Everyone there behaves like grown-ups. Sadly, I've never been in a church like that before. Plus, they adore my son and accept him for who he is.

Although I did get volunteered to make my infamous pizza casserole again. ;-)

If I get some sleep tonight, I plan on working in the yard tomorrow. I really need to get some of my potted plants in the ground and well-established before cold weather sets in. And with this wacky weather, who knows how soon that will be.

Off to call my parents for our weekly chat. I'm really blessed to have great family relationships, too.

TTFN

1 comment:

knittingdragonflies said...

Hope you knees feel better, good luck with that chipmonk!
Vicki