Thursday, April 2, 2009

Random Thursday

I think Thursdays are becoming my favorite days.  I no longer do errands, leaving this day to be my official day off.

I did go to the library today but it was all for me and I didn't go anywhere else. I've got plenty to keep me occupied for the next couple of weeks and most likely won't need to go back next week, which will not only save a few dollars of gas money (which is going up pretty fast these days) but will also give me a total day off.  No errands, that is.  I don't actually get days off.

I've got a chicken in the crockpot so supper tonight will be a breeze.  Not.  But at least I'll have a jump on the meat portion.  I need to get some baking done this weekend but probably not today. Today is for relaxing.

I still have to figure out what to do about meals on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.  We're still eating fast food on those days, partly because I can't guarantee the microwave is available in the commons area and partly because I hate cold sandwiches and can't come up with an idea for traveling meals that doesn't involve transporting a huge bag of plastic containers.  Tuesdays are hard because there are two meals involved.  And some days Zach has to be there a couple of hours earlier so that messes everything up, trying to figure out when we can eat and where.

It's my weakness, I know.  But I need to figure it out.  I'm not saving any money otherwise.

Professor is still limping but he's putting some weight on that leg.  Not a lot though.  Last time he hurt his leg it took him a couple of weeks before he would let himself use the leg.  I can't blame him.  He broke his leg when he was about 10 weeks old and I'm sure he remembers the pain. Poor wee thing.  Except the poor wee thing is getting chunky from lack of exercise lately.  Next week I'm going to start walking him again.  Short walks at first.  Or short hobbles at first. Eventually I'm sure he'll use the leg again.  There's nothing broken and I can't find a tender spot so I'm not sure what the problem is.

My back is better but still aches at night.  Which is when the rest of me aches as well.  I'm still taking one tramadol but not letting myself have more.  Last night was a bit bad but eventually the aleve and tramadol worked and I was able to get to sleep.  I really need to get busy moving around a bit more during the day though.

I have something growing in one of my pots by the window.  I just wish I could remember what I planted in that particular pot.  I think it's the cat grass by the look of it.  Of course the grass would come up first. So far nothing else is peeking it's nose above ground yet.  Probably due to lack of sun and not much heat in the house.

I'm trying to spend less time online and more time productively around the house.  I want to get back to piano, drawing, reading and studying.  There are a couple of courses online I'd like to take.  One is the Open University site I mentioned in an earlier post and the other is from a BBC site. They're not for credit but at this stage in my life, that doesn't matter.  I'm more interested in exercising my brain and improving myself than I am with spending a fortune for a degree that I wouldn't really be able to use.

Some of my reading on the left sidebar looks a bit cheesy, but I tend to go with junk food for the brain now and then.  I saw a movie about Jacqueline Susann the other night and that got me intrigued about how well her books would translate to today.  So I got Valley of the Dolls.  Oddly not that out of touch with the world today.  The vernacular was way off but people are still people and the behaviors weren't that different.  So I found Shadow of the Dolls, which is based on the notes she had written before she died.  It wasn't all that good (but neither was Valley of the Dolls, to be fair...nevermind that it was on the best seller's list...it's not literature by any stretch of the imagination) but it seemed to be true to the characters of VotD.

Still, I sometimes just need junk food.

I'm also reading her biography, written by her husband.  I suspect she's been santitized a bit, judging from other things I've read about her, but what did I expect?

I got The Forever War from the library today as well.  I read that probably 30 years ago and when Stephen mentioned it to me, I had to get it.  A great scifi read.

Other than that I got mostly art books so I can reteach myself.  I'm going to get my piano books out as well.  And maybe tomorrow I'll scan some of my better drawings.  They're still not very good though.

I was going to go to church tonight for Stations of the Cross, but the brakes are going out in the truck this time and Tom doesn't want me to drive it until he can fix it this weekend.  We just can't catch a break.

I'm off to enjoy this relaxing day because tomorrow I plan on doing laundry and maybe some yard clean up.  If not, then some closet clean up so I can get rid of things I'm not using to make room for things that are cluttering up the house.

TTFN

No comments: