Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My batteries are still low

It's a good thing I didn't plant anything yet.  The temperatures got below freezing for a few days. Supposedly it will get in the low 50s today but near freezing tonight.  Then perhaps we will see a warming up.

Not that I have any energy to do any planting any time soon though.  I'm rethinking where to plant the garden since Tom's back has been giving him fits.  He's been in a lot of pain from it but I figured out that it was a kidney infection rather than a disc or muscle problem.  I got him some cranberry juice and had him take echinacea and he's feeling better now.  I finally convinced him to call the doctor but he got impatient with the receptionist because she wasn't moving quickly enough to get him an appointment and he told her he was sorry for wasting her time (in a tone that didn't seem sorry at all) and hung up on her.  Since he hasn't been to the doctor in over 10 years, he would have been viewed as a new patient and apparently the doctor is not taking new patients.  There are two other doctors in the practice he was willing to see but the receptionist had to get his insurance information and this is where Tom got impatient.

So I'm thinking of a smaller garden behind the garage where we used to have it because the sod is already looser and easier to turn.  I might not have to get a roto-tiller.  But it would make life easier if I did.

Tom has plans for every weekend in May (hunting, fishing, poker parties) so I'm pretty much on my own as far as yard work and planting go.  And Zach and I are heading down south to see my family the end of May.  I haven't seen my parents in probably 5 years.  I talk to them on the phone weekly but it's not the same. I don't travel well, though.  I don't sleep well away from home (not that I sleep well at home) and there are certain dynamics with my parents that are very stressful for me.  Such as my weight. How I wear my hair.  Stuff like that.  I know they're going to go off on Zach for his weight which gives me pause about going.  They are great people and were pretty darned good parents, but they have this need to fix people when the people don't necessarily think they're broken.

Still, I want Zach to get to know my parents a little bit.  Who knows how much time we have left with each other?  Life is such a crap shoot.

Of course I'm getting antsy about casting on the sock yarn but I'm being good and am only working on the beaded scarf, the baby blanket and the shawl.  I will start the socks before I travel down to Indiana though.  It's good travel knitting.

I'm going to go through my stuff to see how much of it I can give to Mom and Dad.  Not that I want to unload stuff on them, but I do have things they might find useful so instead of giving it away to Freecycle or the thrift store, I can share it with them.

Just a minute ago there was another dog in the yard while Professor was out on his leash.  This time it was a big Golden Retriever mix.  The dog stayed in the road until I brought Professor in, then he inspected the yard for odors, which drove the old Prof nuts.  But surprisingly he was walking on his bad leg with no problems.  The minute I put him down inside, he went back to limping.  Hmmmm...

I'm pretty frustrated with my drawing.  I'm having to start over which I don't seem to do well. But my eyes doen't seem to communicate to my brain which in turn doesn't let my hands know what needs to be done.  I know that the more I do it, the better I will be but I have to break through my fear of failure first.

Well, I'm off to get a few things done before the energy drains away.  Not that I have much right now.  I'm thinking I might get the dishes put away but beyond that, I don't know.  Zach wants me to teach him how to hand sew so I'll get that done, too, before we need to leave for school.

And I plan on enjoying the sunshine today as well.

TTFN

2 comments:

knittingdragonflies said...

Hey, I have a full blown panic attack and can't sleep for a week before we go to visit my mother in law. I hear you.
Vicki
Luck to you

Kathy said...

I'm limiting my time down there but I'm sure once I get there it will be fine. I tend to exaggerate in my mind situations that cause me stress. Still...less is more.

I'm going to spend time with my sisters and my older son as well and I'm really looking forward to that.