Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Almost back to normal...not that normal is pain-free

I'm feeling better but Professor isn't.  Friday a stray dog wandered into the yard and scared him.  I'm not sure what happened but I got out there as soon as I discovered the dog and by that time Professor was limping badly.  No blood and no broken bones.  I think he strained it trying to get up the steps.  The dog was standing on Professor's leash and he fell down the steps.

He's still limping and can't get up the steps but I think part of that is Tom trying to force him.  He wouldn't pick him up to let him back in and so Professor kept falling back on the leg again.  I convinced him to pick him up from now on so we'll see how it goes.

To be fair, the dog wasn't much bigger than he is and wasn't the least bit aggressive.  But Professor isn't well-socialized.  Well, with other dogs that is.  He's just fine with cats.

I saw a terrific show on BBCA the other night.  John Barrowman (Captain Jack Harkness on Doctor Who and Torchwood) did a special on what makes a person gay.  If you can get hold of it, it's well worth it.  I also watched Any Dream Will Do.  It's a reality show/contest in the genre of American Idol (which originated in Britain anyway) to choose the next star of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.  I really liked the show in a way that I don't care for American Idol.

And John Barrowman was on it as well, as a judge.

I spent the last part of my time in Fond du Lac in the car tonight.  It wasn't too cold and I was so sleepy.  I dozed off for quite a while and it was much more comfortable.  I think I'll stay in the car in the future.  It looks like something is going on in the commons area tomorrow anyway. But I need to clean the car out so I can fit in the back seat.

I'm not sure what I did to my back but I have never had back pain like that before. I couldn't move.  I spent some time flat on my back on the hard floor and that helped a bit.  Tom thinks I might have injured it trying to put the couch back together.  It's a futon but a real pain in the tush to put up.  So Tom suggested just leaving the bed made up and making that room my bedroom.  He spends all his time upstairs anyway and if he wants to watch the upper channels on that tv, he can see it from the living room.  Otherwise there is a tv in the dining room if he's on the computer or in the kitchen.

In a way it's a huge relief.  It has been so hard folding the couch back up and time consuming folding all the covers and dealing with all my pillows every day and night.  Plus, I have missed having a room to call my own.

It's nice to just crawl into bed at night.

Which is where I'm going very soon.  I've done next to no knitting lately.  Some working on the log cabin-ish blanket for Haiti babies and a bit on the shawl.  I do need to finish up another baby hat but I'm pretty burned out on them.

I've dug my art supplies out though and am going to get back to that.  I'll try to scan some of my pencil sketches later this week.  They're not very good, but I'm not a trained artist at all.  Just self-taught.

I have been thinking about how I would live my life differently if I had the chance and I think I would have quit band in high school and taken art classes and maybe a shop class or two and ended up in the prop department at some studio in Hollywood.  That's where my real love is.  I loved doing props at the church we used to attend.

But it's a bit late in life for that so I'll settle for just puttering around the house with pencil drawing.  Maybe I'll take a oil or acyrlic painting course when I can find one I can afford. 

Off to bed for now though.  In spite of all the naps, I'm still so very tired.  I'm managing my pain as well as I can with the Aleve though.  I'm still taking one tramadol at night, however.  The pain gets pretty bad in the middle of the night, waking me up and not letting me back to sleep.

TTFN


No comments: