Monday, April 6, 2009

Why I need art lessons








I'm too lazy to comment on each picture individually so I'll  just generalize down here.  The earlier pictures (note the dates on the lower right hand corner) are from a Walter Foster book that I used.  Others are from other books or the LOTR calendars.  One of my more obvious mistakes is centering the picture on the paper.  I did well to get them on the paper at all, to be honest.

It's been years since I picked up a pencil for the purpose of drawing so I'm pretty much starting from scratch.  And I skipped over the lessons that taught the fundamentals because I wanted to drawn, darn it, and I didn't want to waste time learning values and perspective.  I'm older (cough, cough) and wiser (shut up) now so I'm going to attempt it again but from the beginning.

Vicki is having a giveaway on her blog so I encourage everyone to go there.  It's sock yarn so don't kill each other fighting over it.  Just kidding.  She's very talented:  knitting, crocheting, spinning...there is no end to her talents.  You'll enjoy her blog.  Trust me.

Off to start the Silmarillion again because it's the only thing that appeals to me right now, being in my LOTR frame of mind.

TTFN

2 comments:

TrishaRitchieNC said...

I'd say you only need to learn one thing - relax! Your work is technically wonderful, but you are too worried about the vertical. Relax - let loose and have a bit more FUN! Don't try to be perfect - it's just art!

knittingdragonflies said...

I think your drawing is great. I can't draw anything. It looks like you are having fun with it!
Thanks for the mention.
Vicki