Tuesday, November 6, 2007

My busy day and Night

Whoa. Gas jumped up to $3.15 a gallon Sunday meaning trips to Beaver Dam will be better thought out and more infrequent. We have to go daily for Zach's school except on Fridays and Saturdays and I wish Tom's work would implement direct deposit so I wouldn't have to make a special trip to deposit the miniscule paycheck on Friday but of course that would make sense so they're not going to do it.

So...Zach had to be there at 10 a.m. and his last class got out at 10 p.m. I packed two lunches and two suppers (both sandwiches and chips) lots to drink, books on cd, socks on needles and the Nintendo DS. I know it seems ridiculous but it all adds up if we drive back and forth on the two days he has a break in his schedule.

I got a lot done on the sabbatical sock and will have pictures tomorrow. But I got even more done on New Super Mario Bros. for DS. Sometimes you just have to take a break from knitting.

So far it's not too cold in the car. It was about 32 degrees tonight but I had my Gryffindor blanket (acrylic) and a votive candle lit. If it gets unbearable I'll move indoors. I can sit in the entryway and watch CNN or go back by the library and curl up on the couches where it's nice and quiet. Still...I prefer the car. It's like an extension of home.

Zach got his schedule for next semester and it's very practical. As I suspected, he has classes up in Fond du Lac, but just two days a week and two days in Beaver Dam. There is a nice commons area up in FDL so I won't have to sit in the car while I wait. And better yet, tuition isn't due until January and with the scholarship we just about have it all.

My boy is in the kitchen right now, doing dishes (he volunteered) and baking some oatmeal bars from a recipe he came up with on his own. I'm impressed on so many levels...one being, he hates oatmeal. Go figure.

I'm listening to Night by Elie Wiesel while I knit in the car. At times it was hard to knit through the tears but I really love this book. But I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could treat people like that. Zach listened for a bit then wanted to talk about Fred Phelps so I shut it off and let him talk. I put my knitting down and gave him my full attention because I could see how important it was to him. When he was done, I realized the connection he made between Nazi Germany and a person so filled with hatred toward gays that he believes God is happy when one dies. It breaks my heart.

I will never understand that attitude but as painful as it was, I reminded Zach that God is no happier when people hate Fred Phelps than he is when Fred Phelps hates gays.

I was going to write today on Comfort and Vanity but I am so thoughtful about the things we talked about and what I listened to on audiobook that I will put it off until tomorrow.

And now I must clean house and go to bed. I've been getting up early to get started on my day sooner. Much knitting to be done. And spinning and baking and frugaling.

Oh, and I turned the furnace on for real today. It was 54 this morning when I woke up so I warmed up the house but turned it back down when we left since Tom likes to sleep cold anyway. But I needed toasty when I got home so it's on again. But just up to 60. We can live with the temps at 60.

TTFN

2 comments:

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

I also read Night by Elie Wiesel. Everyone should read that book!

Anonymous said...

A small side note, that's twenty cents a gallon cheaper than here, if that helps any.