Friday, November 16, 2007

Laid back Friday and a rant

I have done next to nothing today besides knitting. I finished the first Christmas sock and cast on for the second one. I love the yarn but I wish I could have come up with the right pattern in cable or some kind of texture. But since I knit this sock under the street light, I needed something simple and easy to see. No easy task with a dark brown sock in the dark in a car in a parking lot under the street light. I'm amazed it turned out as well as it did.

I found several scarf patterns and some mitten patterns that I like. I knew that narrowing down would be the problem. That and deciding on the yarn. Which I can't really afford right now.

Tom left for hunting this morning and took with him a significant amount of the weekly paycheck. It's a sore point for me that he can't hunt around here where it's cheaper but has to go up with his brothers and friends where he has to pay $200 to stay in this guy's house. It's not that the guy has asked for it. Tom thinks it's a fair price to pay. In the meantime, I've spent many a year trying to figure out a way to compensate for that money being gone out of the budget, including the year I went through chemo and we ended up head over heels in credit card debt because of the medicines. Yet, he complains to his buddies that I spend his paycheck (he says it's done as humor...yeah...right.)

I don't get men. I really don't.

So again, in the home stretch for Christmas, I have to figure out how to pay the bills, including the mammogram and bone scan that the insurance company didn't pay for (because they included it in the deductible this year) and the insurance that went up because we bought the truck.

I'm sorry for whining. But if anyone wants to join the pity party, pull up a chair (with your knitting, of course) and we'll get the whine and cheese out.

And don't get me started on smoking. Cigarettes are going up a $1 a pack after January 1st. I asked him if he was going to quit smoking and he said, no.

But anyway...I still need to get the yarn for the Christmas present because it's his sister that is getting it and he thinks a pair of socks is too cheap.

I sure hope he gets a deer this year.

On the plus side, the house is pretty tight this year. I do have some heat leaking from the bathroom window and I can't figure out why. I have double plastic on it and a blanket and towel over the curtain. Still...it's a small leak, much better than last year.

And I didn't have to get into the car today. Not at all. I stayed in my pajamas all day and I might stay in them tomorrow as well. And I watched cable all day. I feel so decadent.

Another plus, my expensive medicine is being prescribed in three month increments, so that's just one co-pay for three months' worth. That's a $60 savings. If you can, look into doing that. The insurance company won't always go for it because it costs them money, but a lot of doctors are trying to go that route.

Well, off to watch Angel and work on the hooded sweater. I should be able to finish it tonight. Then tomorrow I need to finish the teddy bear and work on the sock. I'm not going to start the scarf or mittens until the sock is done though.

And Zach wants some mittens, too, but I'm going to use the yarn leftover from the hat that he's knitting. Real Cascade. I'm going to combine it with some Lion Brand Wool that I have in order to have enough but it will work. I found a nice fair isle pattern or two. Or three.

More decisions to make. Dang.

Off to put my feet up and knit. Professor has been under his wool blanket all day, in his sweater. It has felt a bit chillier today but the heat is set at the same temp so I'm guessing it has to do with humidity.

TTFN

No comments: