Thursday, October 27, 2011

I'm taking today off

Yesterday was the day from hell.  No, make that The Day From Hell.  No question.

After waiting in vain all day for the guidance counselor to call Zach about re-registering for college, we had to go to the store and library, but first stopped at McSnacky's for two 99 cent beverage and a chance to sort out his growing confusion on what to do about college.  We couldn't get the car in park, so we decided to just go home only to find the car locked in L.  Locked solid with no hope of getting it into neutral at all.

And, the phone I thought was in my purse with the charger was minus the phone.  My phone was dead which I couldn't figure out since I hadn't used it.  So we went next door to Shopko to find a charger but as the 3 year old phone is now an antique, there were no chargers that fit my phone.  They didn't have universal chargers but I knew that StuffMart did...way across town.  So we grabbed a bite to eat because at this stage I was shaking so bad that I knew I had to eat or pass out.

After a meal we headed out to StuffMart, a good (or shall we say bad) 4-5 miles away.  It took us over 2 hours to get there because I have a dodgy hip and had to stop every 20 feet or so, and had to stop and sit down at least 5 times.  And while we found the charger, apparently my phone was damaged by trying different plugs and now will no longer work with my charger.  So...needless to say we couldn't call Tom.  But StuffMart had a pay phone, the only one I know of in town, so we called a taxi after writing a check for $20 over.  It took over a half hour for the taxi to get there and it cost the whole $20 to get home. 

I was so sore, I was barely able to talk, and it took me until around 4:30 a.m. to get to sleep, but we woke up around 8:40 (because I forgot to set the alarm) and headed off to town where Tom determined he can't get it to work.  We stopped at the mechanic's and set up a tow truck for later in the evening so as not to disrupt the traffic flow at McSnacky's and they will take it to the shop where we probably will not fix it.  We're going to have to junk it.

We stopped at the mechanic's on the way home because getting them to call back could take hours and we were able to give them the remote for the car (since it was locked with the key in the ignition) and got the ball rolling much more quickly. 

On the way home, we passed by the used car lot where Tom found his truck and sitting there were two minivans.  Now, I had been hankering to get a minivan to replace the car because we had one over 20 years ago and I loved it, but didn't think we could afford even a used one.  We took it for a test drive and most likely will be calling the credit union tomorrow to see if we can get the financing.  Which we probably will as we just made the last payment on the truck last week.  We checked it out online and it's a good, reliable vehicle and feel good about the owner of the lot since we got a very good deal with the truck.  Plus the price is about a $1000 under the lowest list price for vehicles of that year.  This guy always seems to underprice his cars.

I need a car and soon because Zach is trying to get the process going for re-registering for college so we don't have time to wait for weeks to find a newer car.  We have days.

I called McSnacky's after we got home to update them on the car.  I had told a crewmember last night and it looked like she told the manager but I can't be sure.  But as the car was still there and not ticketed (I called the police department as well) I'm guessing she did.  So I thanked them for their patience and let them know the tow truck would be there later in the evening when their traffic slowed down a bit and they took the license plate number and thanked me for letting them know and for waiting until the slowdown.

So the lesson is to let people know what's going on so they don't make assumptions and call a tow truck and you end up paying outrageous fees.

Did I mention it was around midnight before we got home last night?  And we stopped at McSnacky's at precisely 6:38 p.m.  It took over five hours to get home.

Oh, and I lost my winter hat on the walk across town.  Damn!

And I really, really had to go to the bathroom about halfway there but by the time we got to KFC, they were closed.  By the time we got to Wendy's, they were closed and I had to wait until I got to StuffMart.  And by the time we got there, I could barely move so there was no racing to the bathroom.

I never want to go through that again. 

And so, of course, I got no knitting done last night.  But Hannibal decided that sleeping in my knitting bag was cozy so I have cat hair all over both sweaters.  And I don't even care.

Except we're still out of milk.



Anonymous said...

That is one hell of a shitty day. Seriously, I'd take today off too. Holy crap. Hope the cu comes through for you for the minivan.

Kathy said...

I've been asleep on the couch all afternoon but I had to load up the dishwasher and will start supper in just a few minutes. I think I got enough sleep to stay up until Tom gets home so I can go to the store then. And hopefully tomorrow we'll start the process for the minivan.

I still have to clear the title on the car though. :(

Carol said...

Sounds like one of those days you should have spent curled up in a corner. Hope today and the next many are much much better!

Kathy said...

Thanks, Carol! I'm feeling very tired and sore today but the sun is shining and I can limit what I need to it out over the weekend.