Sunday, March 22, 2009

Not my best Sunday, but not the worst either

I've got some pots sitting on a card table in front of the only window with a southern exposure hoping that this time I'll get some starts to my garden.  I seem to have a bit of a brown thumb so I'm not being overly optimistic.  But I am doing a lot of reading up on what to do to improve my efforts.

I'm planning on moving the garden from behind the garage to the northern side of the property in hopes that the soil is better there.  I've had horrendous luck with growing in past years.  I think poor drainage and too much shade are some of the problems.

I want corn this year.  We tried it once and it didn't turn out well but I'm willing to try again.  I don't think this is going to save us tons of money this year but hopefully in successive years I'll get better at it.  I don't even mind tearing up most of the back yard to use for a garden in the future.  I sure don't enjoy mowing it so much that I want to save back more of the yard to mow.

The only problem would be the pets who like to roam the back yard.  Hannibal hunts out there at night and keeps the rabbit and mice population down.  I've got chicken wire to use as a fence for rabbit control, but they've been at the few flowers I've tried to grow as well.  I hate it that it's necessary but if he didn't kill as many as he did, we'd been overwhelmed with them.

I'm planning on a herb garden as well.  Not sure exactly where that's going yet.  I might just use containers for those so I can bring them in next fall.  If that's the case, I can put them behind the garage.  I need to sow grass seed back there and somehow get rid of all the weeds we have instead of grass all over the yard.  We generally have a find crop of dandelions.  Ugh!

I'm going to plant some cat grass and catnip as well.  For some bizarre reason, Professor loves catnip as much as Hannibal does.  I've never seen a dog react to it that way before.

Unfortunately the week went by and I got nothing done in the basement.  Zach busted up the old toilet that has been sitting on the back patio ever since Tom replaced it.  There is still some ceramic pieces in the cracks that I can't sweep out but I'm hoping to break up the patio this summer as well so Tom will be able to replace it with a wooden deck.  That might have to wait until we can afford the wood unless we can find some salvaged some where.

Tom's sister got rid of some furniture the other day.  He helped her move it and take it to the dump.  I was a bit amazed that she didn't offer it to anyone or even take it to the thrift store. They had dog hair on them but that can be vacuumed.  She also threw away a motorized chair my late mother-in-law used.  There was nothing wrong with it except for pet hair.  It cost her $40 to leave the stuff at the landfill.  But Tom said she wants to sell her house and she wanted to get rid of everything fast.  A lot of people would have reponded if she had advertised on Freecycle.

I guess not everyone has the thrifty mindset.  Or even a green perspective.

I don't consider myself green so much as just trying not to waste money.  Although I did spend too much today.  Vestry meeting went way over and I was really hungry by the time they got out.  I fast before church because I want the Eucharist to be the first thing I ingest on Sundays and by the time I got down to Coffee Hour, nearly everything was gone.  Even the coffee.  And I had gotten only about 4 hours sleep last night because I just couldn't stay asleep.

So...tired and hungry equal weak-willed for me.  We went to Arby's, which isn't the cheapest of options.

I got to church this morning and was horrified to discover I had altar guild this week.  We always have it the last Sunday of the month but this month had 5 Sundays so ours is the fourth. Unfortunately my partner had thought we had it next week as well.  Fortunately, another woman, who isn't even on the altar guild, got most of the work done and when I discovered the error, raced into the wet sacristy and finished up.  Except I forgot the priest's chasuble and did that during the peace.

One of the other ladies on altar guild made a comment about it but the priest was okay with it. Both Betsy and I are dealing with a lot on our plates and it was a weird month schedule-wise.  In the end, it all worked out but I let it bother me the whole time during church and that made the whole morning not very enjoyable.  It was my own fault but I couldn't let it go.

I feel so unreliable.  And I'm harder on myself than they could ever be on me.

Hopefully I'll get some work done in the basement this week in order to make room for the queen bed.  I've just had no energy.  None to speak of anyway.  

I did manage to be as frugal as I could last week, baking, making things from scratch, etc.  I made homemade macaroni and cheese with corn bread last night so it's chili tonight with leftover corn bread.  Zach hates chili with beans and Tom hates it without so Sundays are perfect for chili with.  Zach works and gets a free meal on Sundays so I don't have to feed him.  And Tom gets beans.

I don't care either way.

I've been working mostly on baby hats this week.  Out of all the hats in the basket at church, all but three are mine.  I sure hope someone else brings some in.

I'm going to cheat tonight and work on the shawl.  I just need something else to work on. Nothing but baby hats gets really boring.

I've got to license the pets tomorrow but I'm going to walk there.  With the detour it's definitely not worth it to drive.  Parking is at a premium and it's not really that far.  Uphill both ways but not that far.  Plus it should be nice.

I hope to get some laundry done tomorrow as well.  I won't be able to Tuesday or Wednesdaybecause of Zach's schedule (back to routine) and I'm running out of things to wear.  I don't have a lot of variety in clothing.  It's a personal choice, not a poverty thing.  I would buy things on sale and they wouldn't fit or be comfortable or be...well...me.  So now I just keep to the few things I enjoy wearing.

But it does make for a creative laundering schedule.

Thanks so much for the comments in the last entry.  My mother does come from a generation where things in the home remained private.  Us, not so much.  It helped to get some feedback so I don't feel like a freak.

Well, off to finish up supper.  Big Love season finale is on tonight.  Not sure if I'm going to watch it tonight or wait because I'm still working on season 6 of A Touch of Frost.  I'm still hoping my brain will come back to visit me next week so I can do that Open University class.  And maybe the BBC class on Welsh.

I hate having my brain turn to mush.

TTFN






No comments: