Saturday, March 14, 2009

Yes, I survived the week from heck

I survived this week and am so looking forward to Spring Break next week.  Although Zach informs me that he might need to go up to Fond du Lac for a team project he's working on.  And that he is going to be going back to classes on Mondays.  Still, the week off is so nice.

I plan on tearing into the basement and getting rid of as much as I can, clearing out a space since tornado weather is coming upon us.  Tom has taken the twin bed for his room, leaving the queen size available either for the landfill or the basement.  I'm choosing the basement.  We've never had to spend any significant amount of time there because of tornado warnings but you never know.  At the least we'll have something to sit on instead of standing around waiting for the sirens not to go off giving us the all clear.  They don't seem to be good at letting you know the waiting is over.

I'm hoping Tom can get the brakes fixed this weekend but we'll see.  He's tearing his room apart doing some spring cleaning of his own since he'll be getting Zach's computer up there as soon as he's ready.  Zach has been saving up for a laptop for forever and finally had enough so we invested in a wireless router so Tom can take Zach's computer upstairs.  He's pretty much got his own apartment up there, minus bathroom and kitchen.  I think we get along much better if we have plenty of space between us so I'm not complaining at all.  It's the only place he allows himself to smoke so he does tend to spend a lot of time in his room.  Personally, I gag whenever I have to go up but I try not to let it show.  It's really thick up there.  Now that it's getting warmer, however, he'll soon be able to open windows.

I put a lot of miles on the truck this week.  Over 600, I think.  Tuesday I got up, took Zach to FDL and immediately turned around and came home.  I had less than an hour before I took Tom to work and when we got there, the headlight in the truck had burned out...again.  Tom had just replaced it a couple of weeks ago.  It was terribly foggy Tuesday and rainy and I didn't want to be driving the country highways at night in fog and rain with only one headlight so I raced home (okay, I stayed within the speed limits because I'm so terribly anal about it all,) grabbed the things I was going to need in FDL (I didn't have any cash for Zach to get something to eat on campus so I had to bring him something before his next class,) and head out to StuffMart to get the headlights fixed...I hoped.

I parked in the parking lot, race-walked to the back of the store to the automotive section and breathlessly asked them if they had time to change it. Fortunately, they had no work going on at all so I was able to race back to the parking lot and move the car to the back where the automotive was.  Half an hour later and $12 poorer, I had working headlights.

I took 151 from there to FDL, stopped at McSnacky's (I wrote a check for $10 at over at StuffMart which I hate to do because frequently I forget to get my change and they forget to give it to me, resulting in me coming back...sometimes...and them treating me like I'm trying to pull a fast one over on them) to get supper, found the perfect parking spot right in the front of the parking lot and met Zach in the commons with three minutes to spare.

Needless to say I was already wiped out.  By this time all that running and race-walking had taken a toll on my Fibromyalgia and I was aching.  My joints and muscles were throbbing in rhythm to Queen's We Will Rock You.  I took some tylenol but hesitated to take the tramadol because a) I'm running low and need to get an appointment for a new prescription and b) I was already so tired that I didn't need the added fatigue from the medicine.  I toughed it out until nearly 8 p.m. but it got pretty bad so I took one.  Fortunately Zach showed up soon after and we headed back home.  I thought I might take an hour's snooze before I had to pick Tom up but of course I couldn't sleep at that point.  I did decide he could fix his own supper though.  I'm just that kind of a girl.

I got there on time and waited for him, kind of mentally rubbing my hands together in wicked glee waiting for him to notice he had two headlight and how he would be so grateful to me.  Sigh. He got into the car and merely said, "Oh, the headlight's working."  I told him the story, how I had raced to get it done and he simply shrugged.

I said some bad words in my head.

And of course I couldn't get to sleep once I got home.  The pain was gone by that time, but I was beyond tired and couldn't get my eyes to stay shut.  I did manage to sleep late Wednesday morning but the whole day I was so groggy and tired.  Except when driving.  I was okay to drive, but sitting around bored made me sleepy.

Luckily the woman from housekeeping asked me if I wanted the television on in the commons.  I said, "sure."  She's really nice and we talk nearly every day I'm there.  I've gotten to know her a bit.  Since I was the only one there I got to pick the channel so I chose SciFi since Ghost Hunters was on.  I'm not crazy about the show anymore but it was something to watch.  I wish I had brought my knitting along though.  In the future I will because in exchange for driving Zach to school, I get to use his laptop one day a week.  I'm going to watch Hulu.com while I wait.  I thought I'd start with American Gothic.  That is such a cool show.  I might alternate with Babylon 5.  I taped the entire run of that when it was on television.  I have a bin full of very bad copies of it due to change in daylight savings time, weekly alert tests, cable outages and things of that nature.  Someday I hope to own the set but Buffy has to come first.

Back to Wednesday night...people kept walking in and out of the commons as they usually do but tonight they were stopping to watch.  A girl came in and sat in the booth behind me and started talking about the show.  It seemed to be the popular choice.

I haven't been knitting on hats so much, but I have been doing a log cabin-ish baby blanket for the babies in Haiti so I'm counting that toward my Lenten discipline.  I keep looking longingly at my prayer shawl and might knit a row or two just to keep up with the pattern.  I want to start the beaded scarf kit I won but with things so hectic right now, I'm afraid I would lose the beads. Soon, though.

And soon I want to start the garden.  I have hopes this year of putting in some kind of sidewalk leading from the front porch to the driveway so we can salt it next winter.  I'm tired of sliding down the little hill into the side of the car.

Well, I've babbled on enough.  There is more but I need to get some things done today.  The sun is shining and it's in the 40s (F).  My depression doesn't feel so depressing and even with all the cutbacks, I'm feeling optimistic.  Go figure.

TTFN

No comments: