Saturday, January 31, 2009

Car 1, Tom 0

He gave it his best effort but the car defeated him.  You just can't change the headlights out without removing the whole front end of the car.  And you just can't do that in a driveway.  So it will go off to the mechanic on Monday.  Our contingency plan is that I will take Tom to work, come home, run Zach up to Fond du Lac and when we're done there, come home.  I'll get an hour or so to rest, then off to pick Tom up again.  His work is as far in the other direction as Fond du Lac so the truck will get a beating on Monday.  And the oil companies will make a lot of money off of us.

Tom wants to stalk the engineer that designed the car so he can use harsh language at him.  Okay... that's not exactly what he said but I don't want him arrested for making threats so I'll just leave it at that.

I finished the sleeping cap and wore it to bed but the ties under the chin just drove me nuts so I need to figure out something else.  I can't keep a hat on at night.  It always ends up under the covers or on the floor.  So I was trying to do something that would keep the hat on.  Maybe a strap with a button instead.  Or maybe I'll just forget the whole thing and work on mittens instead.  I got them out again last night and while it's not mindless work, it's pretty relaxing.  It certainly challenges me and I really need that in my knitting.  I've never stranded much before because I never did it very well.  In spite of doing what the tutorials say to do, mine always looked puckered.  I find that two-handed knitting works well for me but carrying still is a problem.  Except with this pattern.  I'll have to look up the name of the pattern but for now it's in the living room and Tom is watching another documentary so I don't want to disturb him.

We both watched Survivorman earlier.  I like shows like that.  Not as big a fan of Man vs. Wild although I think Bear looks a lot like Stephen Tomkinson from Ballykissangel.  I'm not a fan of documentaries that have to do with war, planes, espionage, etc.  And those are the ones Tom loves.  

Oh, and he's asleep on the couch with the remote in his hands.  Back before remote controls existed (we kids were the remotes in those days) my dad used to do the same thing except if we changed channels he would wake up and make us change it back.  I've always hated weekends because it's a time when I have no control over my life and when I can't do the things I would like to do.

But it's suppertime now so I'm off to eat turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and corn.  I'll get a lot of mileage out of the turkey this week although Monday there is no way I'm going to fix supper when I'm spending all those hours on the road.  He can cook his own supper when he gets home.

TTFN

No comments: