Sunday, January 4, 2009

Icy Sunday

I'm famous.  Jodi (Cablefreak) of Ravelry fame created a colourway inspired by moi.  She was there for me when I was getting emotionally beaten up by some people who thought roolz were for other people so I'm a bit fond of her.  She also is the one who introduced me to the Rubberneckers.  The colourway is called Kawakathy.  It's gorgeous and really is suitable to my coloring even though she's never even seen a picture of me.  I would love to buy some but it's a bit steep for my budget. Still, knowing someone out there is knitting socks or a shawl or something out of it makes me feel proud.

I don't believe it, but we missed church again today.  I woke up this morning and let Professor out only to watch him slip and slide all over the sidewalk because it was a solid sheet of ice.  I looked at the truck and it, too, was solid ice.  So was the street.  I had to go out in my jammies and hand-knit slippers to get the boy because he couldn't get back up the steps because of slipping all over the place.  As a result he won't go outside anymore.  Good thing he's paper trained as well.

So I told Zach to go back to bed.  No way was I going to drive to Beaver Dam with ice on the road.  I knew I wouldn't even make it to the highway because it's a gradual uphill slope all the way there, even if it is only a block.  McSnacky's called this afternoon and told Zach not to come in because of the roads.  They had employees having accidents and besides, the police were telling people not to be on the roads.  But Tom has to go to work tonight so I hope something has been done on the roads in the meantime.  I have my issues with him but I don't want any harm to come to him.  I suppose I do care after all.  He's a pretty good driver, albeit an agressive one, but who knows what other drivers are out there doing.

The county hasn't salted the roads much this winter because last winter's incredible crop of snow inflated the cost of salt and the budget won't allow it.  So far the roads haven't been terrible but I sure hope they've put some salt or at least a salt/sand mixture on the roads.  They haven't on ours but we're a side street and get taken care of after the main city roads.

I can't believe, though, the things that keep coming up to keep us from church.  Seriously.  And these weather situations happen only on Saturday night/Sunday morning.  Unbelievable.

I got the chills and serious achiness this afternoon.  I ended up pulling down the covers on my bed, slipping back into my pajamas and went to bed and just shivered for a few hours.  Everyone else was warm enough so I knew it was just me and didn't raise the temp on the thermostat.  I did end up taking two tylenol, two tramadol and an aspirin to take care of the headache and pain in my joints.  When I get the flu, my achiness is compounded by the fibromylagia and can be incredibly painful.  Now, however, I'm pretty much pain-free and should be for several hours. Besides, the aspirin was mostly for blood thinning purposes (my age and all.)

I read most of the day when I wasn't sleeping.  I just wasn't interested in knitting today, I guess. I still don't have a pattern or project that is filling me with warm fuzzies.  Post Christmas depression, maybe?  Who knows?  I do feel a bit empty not knitting though.  I might dig out all my books and mags, like I said I was going to do and see what trips my trigger.  I'm so not in love with the shawl that I'm thinking of frogging it and finding a sweater to knit.  I have enough to make a sweater coat of it but it's Plush and that's not a sturdy yarn and I don't think it would wear well as a coat. 

I hate not being in love.

I need to update my favorite blogs.  Some I don't read anymore and there are many not on there that have become real favorites so I need to share that with you.  I don't know if I've raved about Leverage yet, but it's fast becoming one of my favorite all time shows.  There is not a character or actor on the show I'm not thrilled with and the plots are fantastic.  Lots of eye candy as well.

I watched the fourth season of Wire in the Blood this weekend, too.  I hadn't seen it after season 3 because we got rid of the digital channels due to cost but now that we've got them back, there is nothing but crap on BBCA so I'm still back to getting stuff from the library.  Well, not total crap.  My Family, Monty Python, Little Britain, and Catherine Tate are on, but that's only one night.  If I was up to date on Doctor Who, I could watch it but I'm not and I hate to start anything in the middle.

I've been on the waiting list for the first season of Doctor Who forever.  I ended up losing my place in line when my hold expired and I didn't notice it so I'm on the forever hold list now.  I'm also watching Rosemary & Thyme again.  I'm not sure I've seen the third season because there was one on PBS the other night I hadn't seen before so I thought I'd start over again.  Besides, I love the first one when they meet and get together.

Tomorrow we go to pay Zach's tuition.  He's earned the money himself, with help from the grant money.  I'm so proud of him.  And he has enough to pay for his books as well.  I don't charge him for the gas money because he really can't afford that and the books and tuition but if the gas prices stay down, we just might make ends meet this year.  I've managed to put some money in savings this month and last and that's something I haven't managed to do since the summer.  My burden feels a lot lighter.

Tomorrow I'll start putting applications in for weekend work.  We'll see how that goes.  Once I can get my foot in a door someplace, I'll have a work history and can look for better jobs by the time Zach graduates.  His goal is to drive himself to school the last semester, unless the weather is really bad.

This does look to be a better year.  It will be even better if I can manage to get to church sometime soon.  I really miss it.  It fills a huge void in my life.

I'm off to dig out my books and mags and find something to knit.  Oh, and I've read three books this weekend.  Granted, they're not massive tomes or anything but they do entertain me and satisfy my British mystery urges.

TTFN



4 comments:

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

Wow, that's really neat that you have a yarn named after you. It looks like a nice, heathery yellow. What more could a knitter hope for? I bet she'll send you a skein, just for using your famous name. :-)

Hope you're feeling better and the ice goes away from your roads. (Isn't that a strange combination of hope?)

Mad about Craft said...

I'm not sure whether I should wish you a Happy New Year or not, I don't want to jinx you but I'll risk it - Happy New Year, may this one be better than last year.

knittingdragonflies said...

That is so cool, a yarn named after you!!!
Vicki

Anonymous said...

;)

I made it the colour I did because you seemed like a warm person, like an afternoon sun.

I'm glad it made you happy. <3