Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Post-meltdown Wednesday

Whoa!  Sorry about that.  Lack of sleep combined with untreated (and untreatable) depression really pushed me near the limit.  I got some sleep Monday night...about 7 hours, which for me is lots.  But unfortunately, not enough.  I was groggy all day Tuesday and because I was sitting in the commons area of the college, couldn't just curl up and go to sleep.  Much too cold to go sleep in the car as well.

So last night this morning it was about 5 a.m. before I finally got to sleep.  And I woke up before 10 a.m. so I'm going to try to get some sleep before I head off to school tonight. But I'm not fixing supper before I go for a couple of reasons.  One is I'm just too darned tired. Another reason:  I'll be taking the truck because the low beams (headlight) on the driver's side went out last night on my way home from Fond du Lac.  Zach was nearly freaking because he was sure I was going to get a ticket and lose my license (see what I mean about the OCD affecting his driving ability?  Do you really want to be out there on the road with someone behind the wheel who can't remain calm?)  It took a lot to assure him all I would get was a warning and that I would just have to provide proof that I got it fixed.  As it turned out, we didn't see a single police car, which is pretty remarkable.  I always see at least two on my way home.

Now the wonderful thing about Chrysler Concordes is that they can't be fixed at home.  In order to change out the headlights, you have to take the entire front end off.  We found this out two years ago in sub-zero temperature when both lights went out.  And at the time we only had the one vehicle.  So we had to put it in the shop and pay a fortune for what should have been the cost of a headlamp.  Compare this to Tom having to raise the entire engine out of the car in order to replace the starter.  And the battery being in the wheel well so you have to take the wheel off to change out the battery.  I'm thinking there is a special hell for the designers of this car.

So...where was I?  Oh, yeah...so I'm not taking supper tonight because there is little room in the truck and I don't want to take a lot of stuff with me.  So...my cotton grocery bag of food and stuff just won't fit in the car.  I'm only taking a book to read and the DS bag because I will only be there a few hours anyway.

I have a scratch on my upper lip that makes me look like I've been in a fight but it's from Hannibal, who got away too quickly for me to kill.  For some reason, he likes to attack my nose and lip in the depths of night.  Most nights it's a claw to my nostril, but the Sunday night it was the lip.  He just grabs my lip with his claw and pulls.  I woke up quite abruptly and started swatting out at anything I could find before I realized what it had happened.  By that time he was out of the room and poor Professor came out from under the blankets with his eyes wide.  

I so wish I had a door to my room.

I started knitting a sleeping cap for my secret sister.  She mentioned Sunday that she gets cold at night and has to sleep with a cap on so I thought one that matched her scarf (which she wasn't wearing Sunday) and fingerless mitts might work out.  I'm just making a rectangle with garter stitch edging but I'm going to try something for the join.  I don't know if it will work, but I'll play around with it and see.  If it does, I'll give you the pattern.  If it doesn't, I'll still give you the pattern but with a kitchener join instead.

I'm so close to finishing the shawl that I have to stop and measure every few rows.  That makes it inconvenient for television watching so it sits in the bag for now.  I've got to finish Torchwood before Friday when it's due back a the library.  I'm really loving that show.  I got the first season of Doctor Who today but I've heard from some people that they prefer Torchwood to the Doctor. I suspect I will, too.

I'm still reading a lot but not finishing as quickly.  The books are longer and more complicated than the Agatha Raisin series, but I'm really liking Deborah Crombie's series as well.  I also got Anam Cara from the library again and will read it more slowly this time, taking notes.  My spiritual life is in such flux these days.  I'm finding my center again but it's taken it's toll on me.  I had really missed church and in spite of all my doubts, the Eucharist still calls to me when nothing else does.

I know there is a lot more I can say but I'm sleepy and need to get a nap in.  Monday night I was worried on the way home about falling asleep at the wheel and made Zach talk to me and keep me in conversation.  We're listening to Artemis Fowl (me for the second time...Zach for the first time) and really enjoying it.  There is a new book out and like with Harry Potter, I need to read the whole series to pick up where we left off.  Zach is really having a good time with them.  The humor in the books is wonderful but Nathaniel Parker's reading is superb.  He's probably my all-time favorite narrator.  Even better than Jim Dale.  And that's saying a lot.

Well, off to snooze for a bit.

TTFN

No comments: