Monday, December 8, 2008

Yep...it's Monday

You get one thing working better and a dozen other things fall apart.

But...just when we have a chance to catch our breath financially, something happens that threatens to drain us again. This time it's the car. Again.

I went to pick Zach up Saturday evening and the left front tire was flat. Flat. We had been having trouble with the tires losing a bit of air and had to check the tires every time I got gas, but it's never been too bad. And the air loss has always seemed so random. Rarely the same tire each time and never consistently the same tire. I got gas Friday and checked all the tires and that one was fine. It was the right front tire that was low. So I was totally shocked to see the tire completely flat.

We had a can of stop-leak stuff, so I used that and drove very slowly to the gas station three blocks away, holding my breath that I would make it without any damage to the sidewalls. It took several cycles of the air thingy to fill it up but I finally made it. I checked for any leaks and didn't see any so I drove off to Mayville to pick up Zach...about 5 miles away.

I checked the tire when I got there and it was was down 1 pound of air pressure. By the time I got home, it was down 5 pounds. I should have switched vehicles so I had the truck last in the driveway but I wasn't thinking so Sunday morning had to skip church because the tire was flat again. Tom took it to the gas station this time but the sidewall on the tire had a gaping hole this time.

And this is where my frustration level goes through the roof. He can't get the tire off to put the spare on. I don't know why everything in our life has to be such a struggle, but nothing on this car is ever easy to fix. When he had to replace the starter, which is one of the easiest things in a car to replace, he had to lift the engine out to get to it. Now the wheel seems welded on. Or was welded on. Tom just came in and...success! The wheel is off. But he worked on it all day yesterday until he had to quit and get some sleep and this morning for a couple of hours instead of sleeping.

So now we can get the car to the shop where we bought the tires less than a year ago and get something done about the remaining tires. For a while we were beginning to think someone was letting the air out because it was so random. I hope our warranty will cover this because otherwise new tires is what we're all getting for Christmas.

Sigh.

I had a chance to put some money in savings this month.

I almost feel like we're being cursed or something.

Anyway...on the knitting front. Still no knitting mojo but I've been working on the hooded scarf and Zach's sweater. My problem is I don't have time to knit until evening and I'm having a hard time staying awake to do it. I fell asleep twice while watching Pirates of the Caribbean I before I had the bed made up. After I made it up, I completely fell asleep during POTC II so I just gave up and went to bed.

It's good that I'm sleeping though. I won't complain about that.

I convinced Tom to start using the space heater in his room. There is no heating vent in that room and he's been toughing it out but the cold has gotten to him this winter like it hasn't before. He said he slept so much better with the heater on...very low...but on. It will add a bit to the utilities but not all that much. But I went to put the plastic on his window and can't get the tape to stick to the window frame. I don't know if it's because it's glossy paint but it just won't stick so we need to do something or all that heat is just going to go outdoors.

Well, I need to get Zach to school much earlier today so I'm off. Since I've got the truck, I don't plan on sitting out in the parking lot but lately I've been going indoors anyway because the cold is getting to me, too. I have errands to run first but I'm just taking the DS and a book to read because I don't want to drag my knitting around in this weather.

Oh, and we're in a winter storm warning now with freezing rain today and 4 inches of snow tomorrow. I'm not as fond of winter as I used to be.

TTFN

No comments: