Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I'm not dreaming of a white Christmas anymore

Zach and I just came in from shoveling 4 inches of snow (and drifts) from the sidewalks and driveway. Apparently there is much more coming, depending upon which station you listen to, of course. I think I can safely say we're going to have a white Christmas. Pretty darn sure, anyway.

I vented a lot while shoveling, particularly about how we make sure Tom can get to work, yet he won't lift a finger to help us get to church. Perhaps it's not the same though.

I bought us all some warm hats and gloves yesterday. Zach was really happy. We're the ones who are outdoors the most, shoveling snow 2-3 times a week, so we needed them. I hate feeling guilty for spending money to keep warm.

It is a bit warmer outside though: in the 20's, I believe.

The hats are the fleece, earflap kind we used to see lumberjacks wear. I can't tell you how warm I felt out there.

When we came indoors, it was snowing again. And it was picking up momentum so I'm figuring we're going to be out there again tonight so we can clear the driveway again.

It doesn't look like we'll make it to Christmas Eve service either. It's supposed to be putting down about 4-6 more inches of snow tonight with another 3-5 inches tomorrow so I don't think I'm up for driving at night on roads that are a bit slick. I'm a pretty good snow driver. Heaven knows I got a lot of practice last winter driving back and forth to Fond du Lac, but I'm not going out unless it's necessary.

I do have to walk to Kwik Trip to get some stamps though. I have a bill due in a couple of days and while I know it won't get there on time, it will at least get there sooner than if I leave it sitting on the dining room table.

I'm almost done with my Secret Sister's scarf, although there seems to be no rush now that I won't get there before Sunday, although I can sneak it in the church Friday when I go to the library. I never shop on the day after Christmas. Never. But the library is a pretty safe place to go.

I need to wrap presents tonight and vacuum the living and dining room. Today I'm doing laundry and scrubbing the bathroom down. I worked on the kitchen last night but it wasn't a huge undertaking. I do manage to keep up with it. The bathroom isn't dirty so much as it's cluttered.

I'm thinking I need to get a job after the first of the year. I don't know how we're going to cope otherwise. Plus, I'm tired of being cold. I try to put up a good front but 58 degrees is just too darned cold for the house during the day. And 48 last night was miserable so I kicked it up to 50. Still, I'm not sure how I'm going to manage the bills without me getting a job. I'm afraid gas prices will rise after the first of the year and we're barely making it with all the trips to Hartford and Fond du Lac as it is.

It doesn't look like Zach will graduate until the spring of 2010. He's only managed to get 16 credits this coming semester and there will be no way he can fill up the fall semester with about 28 credits. And he has nearly all his core classes and that's all that is usually available in the summer term. Still, it's better he takes both degrees now instead of trying to do it later. But I've told him he'll need to work on getting his license because I can't put my life on hold for another year. He's okay with that. If he takes 151 up from Beaver Dam it won't be much of a problem because it's almost a straight shot, but if he tries to take the country highway route, he'll have difficulties, especially in inclement weather.

I'm off to knit on the scarf for a bit then finish Zach's sweater. I think a shawl out of the Plush will be next. Then who knows. If I manage to get a job, I doubt I will have a lot of time to knit anymore unless I do it while waiting for Zach.

Why can't I get in the Christmas mood?

TTFN


1 comment:

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

Hope you can find a job that you will like after the holidays.

Have a blessed Christmas, Kathy!