Thursday, December 18, 2008

Settling in cozy

Depending on which channel you listen to, the snow will start at 6 or 10 p.m. and we'll get 4-12" of the lovely white stuff. Fortunately, Zach's class was canceled so I won't be getting stranded in Fond du Lac, but Tom runs the risk of getting stranded in Hartford tomorrow morning after work. So I got him some cash and have a blanket and tea candles in case he decides to nap in the car for a bit. He can go to George Webb for breakfast but if he tries to stay awake for a few hours and drive later, he'll be a wreck. With three blankets, a pillow and access to a bathroom at work, he should stay warm. And those little candles do help heat up the car.

But I figure by the time his breakfast is done, the roads will be passable if he sticks to the major highways.

I got the weekly grocery shopping done today because I'm not going out tomorrow except to get Zach to work and that's just a few miles down the road from us. Unless they call and tell him not to come in. I don't expect a lot of people will be out tomorrow if we get a foot of snow. We've got snow predicted for the whole weekend and some of next week as well.

Great. Just great. It's like a rerun of last winter.

On the positive side, we've got brand spanking new tires on the car and it drives like a dream. Apparently it was the truck that got new tires last summer. We put new tires on the car two years ago. Still, they should last longer than that.

And I'm not being monogamous with my knitting anymore. I've been trying to find a $5 gift for my secret sister at church but everything that costs $5 and is Christmasy looks so cheesy so I got a $5 skein of yarn and am knitting a scarf for her. I'm using Vanna's Choice in a variegated denim color and using a dishcloth pattern because I think that's the best place to find scarf patterns. This one is the Lacy Mock Cable Cloth by Vaunda Rae Giberson. It looks really good with the yarn. There is no striping to compete with the pattern yet enough variation in color to make it look really interesting. When I get farther along, I'll take a picture of it.

So I was wondering if I'm a yarn first/pattern second type of person. I do tend to fall in love with yarn more than I fall in love with patterns. I get the yarn and then find a pattern to go with it. Not all the time, though, but often enough that I think it's more representative of who I am as a knitter.

I have some red Plush in the armoir waiting for a pattern as well. I had intended to knit a sweater with it but I think it wants to be a shawl.

And I'm having some serious sock withdrawal, but that will have to wait until way after Christmas. I've got some potent bill paying to take care of the next couple of months. But there is light at the end of that wicked tunnel. Our property taxes didn't go up this year. That's the first time in 13 years of living here that they haven't. Not that they are reasonable by any means, but at least they didn't go up.

I got some lovely sleep last night. I left a note for Tom telling him I was sleeping in because I didn't want to drive back from Fond du Lac in bad weather and be sleepy as well and he was very nice about being quiet. And the new curtains kept my bedroom very dark so I got to sleep in a couple of hours extra. I guess that was my reward for sitting in the automotive equivalent of a waiting room for nearly an hour and a half last night and getting out in the bitter sub zero (with wind chill) temps and getting gas so he could get to work.

I was watching Mission: Impossible (the series) last night and fell asleep in the last five minutes of the show and it was an episode I didn't remember. And of course, once I woke up I was awake for a while, so I watched Hot Fuzz from OnDemand and fell asleep in the last five minutes of it. But this time I had the timer on the tv so it shut itself off and I didn't wake up again until 10 a.m. So I got about 8 hours of sleep. And I'm not used to more than 6. It was lovely.

Well, I am off to do some marathon knitting so the scarf is done before Sunday. I've got the rest of Torchwood, Top Chef and Leverage on tape, and the third season of Hamish Macbeth to watch in addition to HBO/Cinemax On Demand. Now I remember why I love winter. Sitting cozy in the house while it snows like the dickens outside.

TTFN

No comments: