Friday, July 20, 2007

I'm not worthy

I went to Knit Night, stayed for about two and a half hours and left. No one asked me my name or where I was from. No one told me their name. I felt like an intruder. A few people were friendly. The kind of friendly you run into in the grocery or StuffMart. Chitchat. Some were terribly interested in my Charmed Knits book. Thing is, I don't think it was them. I think it was me. I've been isolated for so long that I am socially inept. I think shy translated to standoffish.

I felt like acrylic in a wool world. I looked around at all the samples that the owner or whoever had knitted and all I could think was, "I'm not worthy." I loved the feel of the yarns there, particularly this breathtakingly lovely white laceweight, but I have a miniscule budget.

One woman there didn't know the name of Red Heart yarn. I didn't want to admit that that's all I had to knit with for 30 years. Lovely women, I'm sure. But not my community.

I had to rip out the Jaywalker sock. Turns out I didn't have the right needles. I have to wait until I get to Hobby Lobby next orthodontic appt to get some. All they had at Loose Ends was wooden and I don't want wooden dpns. I guarantee with a dog who likes to chew and tiny size 1 dpns, they would be gone in a week.

I'm doing the Maple Sugar socks instead. It's out in the car, ready to go tonight for the Harry Potter vigil at StuffMart.

Got At Knit's End at the library today. I love it. If I could just figure out a way to read and sleep at the same time. I already know how to knit in my sleep although it was supposed to be seed stitch and ended up straight knitting.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I absolutely know how that feels - to try to join and feel outside. I went to a spinning workshop here - I showed up with my wheel (a Louet) and the owner of the shop, who sells a different brand, said "Oh dear, that's such a clunky wheel". I spun on it anyhow, but I was a beginning spinner and felt really - I don't know - unworthy? overwhelmed? I haven't gone back, but have had some small successes on my own with my clunky wheel.

Anyhow, I know what you mean about Red Heart (it was "my" brand for many years of knitting).

Hey! nice to meetcha! Julie

Kathy said...

They sell Louets at the LYS here. I was drooling over it Thursday but I want to work on my kick spindle first. Money is tight here with me not working and Zach getting ready for school.

I'm going to give Knit Night another chance. Maybe they were as shy as I was.

I have no bad memories of Red Heart. It worked well for me. Now, though, I like to stretch my wings and fly a little further.

Nice meeting you as well, Julie. Thanks for stopping by.