Wednesday, July 18, 2007

And so it begins...

So here it is in its bright, shiney new nakiness. My blog. (And shoes off is as nakey as I get so move along if you came for something else. No nakey knitting here.)

And what better way to start my blog than with a quote from one of my favorite series with the hunkiest of hunky aliens out there...G'Kar. (May he rest in peace.) It's Kosh's quote but he's not hunkalicious so he doesn't get a picture here.


I'm sitting here watching the Weather Channel to see if it actually will rain since it's been promised for a couple of days now and I haven't hung any clothes out on the line or put my fleece out to dry until today. And of course it hasn't rained so my plants are dying (because I trusted the weather guy and didn't water them) or at least what plants the bunnies haven't eaten yet, and the fleece has been drying in our tiny bathroom on a fancy shmancy drying rack I got from StuffMart .

I devised an outdoor drying rack for my fleece (more on that later) that consists of two crappy kitchen chairs and two screens. We have critters all over out backyard that seem to love sheepy smelling wool to line their nests (or maybe they're selling it to critters across town...I don't know.) Anyway...here it is.




So this incoming thunderstorm is nothing but a speck on the radar. I think they're lying again but if I go to the store, it will rain so I'm staying home.

My husband works with a guy who has sheep, but some of these sheep are black sheep and he has to burn the wool in his compost because it's apparently not worth anything since it can't be dyed. When he found out last year that I wanted to learn how to spin he offered dh a huge honking bag of wool. It translates to about 4 of those black garbage bags. I didn't make very much progress since I hadn't bought a spinning wheel or a spindle or anything of that nature although I did buy carders. Last week dh came home with another huge honking bag of wool because I actually had bought a spindle and this guy thought I needed more wool to learn on. (Baa, baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir 8 bags full.) So I've been busy washing, carding and learning to spin wool this week. I haven't gotten much knitting done at all and what I have done I've mostly frogged since I've been so tired.

I don't know what I'm doing.

Off to the library to get a book on the simplicity of spinning from fleece to yarn. Yeah...that should do it.

So this is my spindle. It's a kick spindle and I like it but I wish it had a hook on the spindle instead of letting it slip off the top in order to twist. I've asked dh to make me another spindle with a hook but I'm not holding my breath. He works a lot of hours.


Trying to find a place to take a picture has convinced me that I'm going to have to do a lot of cleaning before I take anymore pictures.

Well, it's clouding up out there so I'm off to move the laundry and the fleece inside. I'll show you my yarn that I spun tomorrow. It still smells like sheep.

2 comments:

Becky in Iowa :O) said...

Welcome to blogland, Kathy!

I have to admit that when I clicked on your blog I let out a little shreak. hehe I was not expecting pictures of aliens on a knitting blog.

Oh, and be thankfull you aren't in the eastern half of Iowa. It has been storming off and on for a couple days. We have flooding all over the place. I'm so glad I live on a hill. hehe

Kathy said...

You mean other knitters don't have aliens on their blogs??? I'm speechless.

We live on the side of a hill which means when it does rain (and it does rain here...occasionally) it seeps into the basement.

But your weather is supposed to be heading this way...unless it phizzles out on its way here.