Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Bam! again

Zach and I finally made it to The Hobbit yesterday.  It was wonderful even if the matinee prices went up 75 cents due to the  new sound system...dolby surround!  Doubly amazing.  We packed sandwiches instead of stopping to get a bite because the new taxes are taking $200 more a month out of Tom's pay.  And we didn't have $100 extra so no more luxuries.  Or very few anyway.  I'm still debating what to do about cable since we can't get any tv stations otherwise.  We mostly watch the upper channels and since it's our only entertainment, I'm going to see what I can do to bring our budget back into control first before I start cutting off everything.

I went to bed early last night because I had trouble sleeping Sunday night and was very tired.  Around 1 a.m. the phone rang.  It was Tom.  On the side of a dark country road with a very dead truck.  So we gathered up his new tool kit and headed off to find him.  Fortunately we know the route well and found him with no problems.  We did the jumper cable thing and got the truck started so I followed him on our way home.  We got a couple of miles down the road when his lights failed, followed quickly by the death of the battery again.  At least this time we were in a bitty town with street lights so he pulled over, locked up and got in the car with us.  We waited until morning to call a tow truck, saving a bit of money on overtime costs.  It's the alternator, which is going to run us around $500.

I don't know when we will ever get a chance to breathe.  If we could have gotten the car home, Tom could have done the trouble shooting and fixed it himself for half that cost.  More than half, actually, but having it cut out far from home...wasn't an option.

And so I've dug out my tightwad books, my Encyclopedia of Country Living and am sitting bundled up to save heat.  I won't turn it up until I'm uncomfortable, which I'm not as yet.  I've been up moving around cleaning so that's probably why.  When I'm ready to sit down for the evening, I'll probably turn it up a bit.  We're not in danger of freezing.  It's sitting at 55F.  Can't see my breath so I'm fine.  I've got to dry a load of clothes in the dryer and although it's in the basement, we do get some of the humidity up here.  It's not vented outside so we get all the heat from the dryer.  I just use old pantyhose to cover the venting pipe.

I'm still waiting for the sock yarn.  As far as I know it hasn't even shipped yet.  I'm a bit annoyed about that since it's been more than a few days, but I'll give them to Friday before I look into canceling the order.  I've never tried WEBS before so I don't know how good they are.

Well, off to tackle my bedroom, de-cluttering and vacuuming.  Then onto the dining room and kitchen.  Not sure about supper but I've got a chicken thawed out.  I'll probably poach it and take the meat off the bone so I can stretch it out for at least 3 meals.  I've got a cup of tea to warm me up and the sun is shining out there so it doesn't feel too gloomy.

TTFN

No comments: