Monday, June 9, 2008

Mercy, please!

I'm ready to cry uncle...throw in the towel...anything but please stop adding more stress to my life.

Please!

I've been dealing with a homeless son for a couple of weeks which was thankfully resolved last night when he finally found a place to stay. He's been living in his car, trying to find a job and avoid having his car repossessed. Both my mom and I have lost a lot of sleep praying for this guy. I love him dearly but it's hard to handle his problems on top of my own.

Then I read in the paper last week that several leading loan companies are bailing out of the student loan business for two-year colleges. Tuition is due in a little over a month and we haven't heard anything from the financial aid people. If Zach can't get a student loan, I'm not sure what we will do. He has applications out all over the place and not a single call for an interview. His references are great and his record at school is outstanding. He's available all hours this summer but nothing.

We had a major storm over the weekend with over 11,000 lightening strikes in one hour according to the news people. The thunder was near constant and very close. I have never heard thunder of that frequency or intensity before. And rain...lots of it. And some of it in the basement. I went downstairs to squeegee the floor so I could do laundry, not wanting to turn the dryer on while standing in a pool of water, and heard something like a faucet running. I looked over in the corner and water was pouring out of the wall like it was coming from a spigot. Hard and fast. Fortunately it was pouring into the old shower stall so it went right down the drain.

I went upstairs to Tom's bedroom to let him know and there was water on the stairs coming from the ceiling. I put a bucket under it but I haven't been upstairs since then so I don't know how bad the drip was. It's possible it just was water driven under the shingles. We were having some bodacious wind. There were tornadoes in other parts of the county.

Professor walked out the door yesterday behind Tom and Tom didn't notice. I didn't know until I heard him barking out front. I panicked and flew out the door but he was standing the distance from the door that his leash gives him barking at a passing car. Since he has been known to try to chase them while on the leash, I am so grateful that he didn't do it this time. He's never sneaked out the door before so now we will have to keep a close eye on him. I worry because he's tiny and we live behind a major highway, and I worry because his chihuahua-ness makes him snarky and he's been known to bark viciously. I don't think he would bite anyone, but I know he would snap at them, though never making contact. He's usually pretty good around kids but they can be unpredictable and he's a bitty dog.

Oh, Lord.

I just want a break. Just one day when I don't have to worry about money or family or health.

I did manage to finish spinning half the roving I got from the Sheep & Wool Festival last fall. It's hanging in the bathroom right now setting the twist. It's not great work but it is a bit more consistent than my first efforts. And I'm really enjoying the kick spindle.

But I haven't gotten much knitting done. I've been falling asleep when I crawl into my bed at night to watch tv and knit.

I've been doing some more reading of late as well. Still trying to kick-start my brain.

Off to cook supper and then into my jammies and cozy up with my knitting.

TTFN

No comments: