Thursday, June 26, 2008

If I claim the camera broke would you believe me? I thought not.

Okay, you can shoot me at dawn tomorrow. Still no pictures. I've lost the picture-taking mojo, it seems. And the moving from this chair mojo since I am directly in front of the fan and it's hot here. Even Professor is planted in front of this fan, while Hannibal is on my bed by the other fan.

Supposedly we will have rain tomorrow which should make the heat nice and muggy instead of just hot. Oh. Joy.

Today was such a mess. Tom got home late so I had to take the truck to take Zach to school and I had no sun shade for it so I had to go buy one but it was still hot in the truck while waiting so I went and got breakfast at MickeyD's after which it occurred to me that not driving home to save money wasn't really saving money if I was spending it on ways to keep cool while waiting. So...next time I'm coming home.

I finished one sock of Hedera and may get around to making another as soon as I figure out where I put the pattern. What I have been doing is a lot of spinning, which takes a while on a kick spindle. I've been drooling over spinning wheels and the Woolery has a couple that are reasonably priced. I got my kick spindle from them and they are very nice.

I've got to figure out what to do when I get done with this batch of roving. I'm nearly there. I still need to ply it and figuring out how exactly to do that on a kick spindle will be a bit of fun. But I want more to spin. I need more to spin. Do I buy a fleece or more roving? I haven't had a lot of luck with the black sheep wool I got for free, but the fleece is rather short-haired and everything I see in the instructions is twice as long. I don't mind the work but I want to be able to spin it afterwards. And all I have are carders. The manual kind.

And where exactly to get the fleece? If I just play around with my black sheep wool (and I still have probably 30 pounds of it left...some of it mysteriously found its way into the garbage can after Tom left for work...I mean 80 pounds of stinky, dirty sheep fleece sitting in the basement???? I didn't ask for it, you know.) and wait for the Wisconsin Sheep & Wool festival, then I can see the fleece in person, fondle touch it, and see the colors but that is all summer of washing and carding fleece that I probably wouldn't knit up into anything I would wear. On the other hand, I would get a lot of practice in. But it would be practice in fleece that has a lot of limitations.

I wonder how far away the nearest sheep farm is.

I really meant to ride my bike today but it's still too hot. I think maybe morning will work better. On days I don't ride, I need to get my step out and step to Deep Space 9, which I tape every night.

I think I will go watch stuff I have taped and spin while waiting for the sun to go down and the house to cool off. Cleaning at midnight has more appeal to me than cleaning right now. I know it isn't hot, hot yet but since I am so well insulated, the heat affects me more. I'm guessing I need to remove some of that insulation and soon. For my health more than any other reason though.

Yep...tomorrow I diet.

Somebody shoot me.

TTFN

2 comments:

Mad about Craft said...

How many days do you get like today in the average summer (asuming there is such a thing anymore)?

I hate hot humid days, fortunately we don't get that many in the UK. You have my every sympathy.

Kathy said...

We get a couple of days in early summer and then some in August but it's mostly tolerable here. At least to me. I think I just wasn't ready for it yet. It's muggier today and I'm fine with it.

We did have a very cool spring so that might be why it hit me harder this year.