Thursday, June 12, 2008

As the clouds roll in

Or rather, as they continue to roll in.

Yesterday I made my annual pilgrimage to Fond du Lac to see the surgeon and I am happy to report that all is well. Another year cancer-free. I consider each one a gift, truly. I just need to start acting like it.

I hadn't considered the road conditions on the way up but when we got to Theresa, I saw those lovely orange and white barriers and thought, "Oh, noooooo..." Fortunately, I had given myself plenty of time and the situation wasn't as dire as it looked at first. Okay, the river was covering the road, but there was a small area dead center where you could still see the center line so it was one-lane traffic for a short while. I had to wait for oncoming traffic but Theresa isn't a high traffic area so it wasn't a long wait.

I haven't fixed the basement yet because I haven't been to the hardware store but I was waiting for everything to dry out a bit first. And of course, there are some nasty colors moving in on the radar map. Just the day for spinning or knitting or reading. But I must go to the library and get the grocery shopping done so I have to find just the right moment.

The Hedera sock is coming along slowly, but nicely. I turned the heel last night although it might not be the same way the pattern calls for. Once I get to the heel, I just do things my way. It's not that I'm not open to learning new ways, it's just that I love turning the heel that way. Just like I love kitchener so I don't care to knit socks toes up.

I have one cake of yarn from my spinning. Unplied, of course. I started spinning the second ball of roving and it seems like I'm going to be far short of yardage on this one. I'm sure my yarn is as thin as the first ball, but I don't know. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I may try Navajo plying if the cakes are obviously different yardage. Not that I know how to do that yet.

I have a project I want to start if I can get past being paralyzed by fear of failure. It requires a small investment of money and a large investment of time but I keep saying to myself that if I spend the money and once again, I bail out, then it's more money spent that we could have used elsewhere. On the other hand, not spending the money leaves me in a position of planned failure anyway.

Gargh! When did I become such a wimp? I used to take chances. I used to have follow-through. I used to actually finish what I started.

Off to the store before the storm gets here. I'm thrilled that Stephanie won Top Chef last night. I guess it's not the kiss of death if I pick someone to win after all.

TTFN

No comments: