Friday, February 29, 2008

Did I say I hated snowblowers?

I'm guessing we got more than 3 inches last night but I haven't been outside yet to measure it. I will, however, have to do that soon. Zach is sick today with a painful sinus headache so the shoveling falls to me. Tom parked on the street...in the snow bank, which will be so much fun to get out of later...but he did shovel the sidewalk from house to front sidewalk and a path from the front door down the driveway.

The rest of it belongs to me, I guess.

I'm making headway on the sweater I'm knitting. It's the Alpaca StagHorn Cardigan or something like that from an older Knit N Style magazine. I know I said I didn't like busy cables and this is nothing but cables but the pattern, while looking ever so complicated is easily memorized and almost mindless. It has the advantage of looking like the most complicated pattern in the world though so I end up looking good.

My cabling has definitely improved over time. I'm using reverse combination, where I wrap my knit stitches the opposite way but wrap the purls the most common way. It has improved my tension so much that I really need to knit this way all the time. Unless I'm doing garter stitch, of course.

I finished another hat for Knit4Lent and started another last night. I'd love to get to work on some toys for Haiti but I think I'll wait until after Easter. We have a new baby at church and I need to make something for him but he has so many beautiful things right now that I told the parents that I would wait a while and make him something for when he's a bit older.

I also told Amy that I would hold him later because I just don't hold new babies. My personal belief is that they just don't like it and it makes mom nervous. Mom, in this case, is an internist so she appreciates the health aspects of passing new babies around. She thanked me very quietly when I told her I would wait a few months before I held him.

Confession for the day: I would love to get rid of about half the furniture we have in this house. Tom won't let go of anything so we have some huge pieces of furniture we had in our big house 18 years ago, not to mention all the furniture he's picked up from relatives over the past several years. If I could get by with it, I would also empty the attic, basement and garage with a huge shovel without even looking at any of it. I'm so tired of walking through the house sideways because I have to negotiate around furniture. I did take down the dining table and put a chair in its place because the table was only used for clutter and took up so much room that only one person could walk through the dining room at a time. And since Tom tends to sleep downstairs now and then (or every weekend) I need a family room to watch television or read. It hurt to sit on a dining room chair for hours on end. Not my idea of relaxing with a book at all.

I'm going off by myself today to do the banking and library and shopping. I don't intend to come home soon but will take a book and get a soda and sit at Wendy's and read. Or write. I've been wanting to do that for a while but since there isn't a single place in this house where I could be alone I haven't managed to write a single word. Or maybe I'm just making excuses.

I may get my drawing pencils out again. I went through my portfolio the other day and cringed at what I used to think was good work. I tend to put all my eggs in one basket and work on one passion at a time. I just need to manage my time better.

I've been working on spinning on an occasional basis. I have good days and bad days with it but I think once it's plied it will all even out.

The snow is screaming at me to get busy so I must do that before I can go to town. I will have tons of video pleasure this week as nearly everything I put on hold has come in so I'll be marathoning in order to get it all watched before it has to go back. Some of it is on two week loan so I'm not panicking...yet.

I hope this is the last of the snow for the season.

ETA: The boy, bless his heart, heard me getting ready to go shovel and came out to help without being asked or anything. I will listen to his chatter 24/7 without complaining from now on. I am so lucky.
TTFN

1 comment:

Mad about Craft said...

I am so glad your son is so helpful.

I know how you feel about clearing out. I am threatening to get a skip to put all the clutter we have in our roof space and garage. The Oh! Bearded One can be such a horder and the problem is that I know there are things in the roof space that I want for my crafting but I can't find them at the moment.