Monday, February 18, 2008

Cabin Fever

It's not like I don't get out at all, but getting out isn't a lot of fun. I've missed church the past two weeks because of weather: two weeks ago the wind was so strong I couldn't open my front door to let the dog out and the wind chill was in the minus 30s. Last Sunday the sidewalk was a sheet of ice and the dog couldn't stand up to wee. He kept sliding.

So the extent of my outdoor activities has been driving to Fond du Lac in near white-out conditions, slippery roads (because MPTC doesn't cancel classes apparently) and sitting in the car snoozing under a toasty warm blanket while waiting for Zach.

And shoveling snow.

And shoveling more snow.

And still more snow.

It's getting to everyone. Next door to the north (elderly lady) the son brought his snow blower over finally (the second time all winter he's been over) and stopped at the property line. Sigh. We've shoveled her sidewalk every time it snowed.

The neighbors to the south used their snow blower on only their side of the driveway. We've done both sides of our shared access every time we've been out there. They've done it, too, but we've shoveled the past four times, including the 15 inch snow storm from a couple of weeks ago.

Sigh. I know it's getting to everyone but we're the only ones with just shovels and muscle power. They've got the snowblowers.

I've been knitting a lot more than I've been reading about knitting. I'm just taking a break from the internet for a while. I canceled all the email groups I've been on and have been reading blogs only a couple of times a week.

I finished a couple of baby blankets but otherwise haven't gotten a lot of anything done. Nothing that requires any amount of concentration. Seasonal depression is so debilitating.

Thanks so much to Aisla for nominating me for an award. Truthfully, I was ready to quit blogging and probably would have if it weren't for her. Thanks so much! It really did make my day.

Things at home haven't improved any. I continue to gain weight but I am sleeping more. In fact, I'm sleeping way more than I should. I feel like sleeping around the clock and the past two weekends stayed in my pajamas all weekend long. Hopefully I will reclaim my life once and for all and make something of it, instead of just stumbling along.

Even knitting hasn't held a lot of interest for me.

But I've been reading a lot, mostly Inspector Lynley mysteries. I did manage to get the new Hamish Macbeth mystery. It's very light reading and I usually finish them in a day. Like a snack rather than a meal.

Off to fix supper and then outside to shovel yet more snow.

Eighty inches is more than enough snow, I think. But apparently we're getting more this week. Not to mention below zero temps tomorrow.

Thanks to those of you who have been so faithful about stopping by even when I haven't been faithful about writing.

You mean so much to me.

TTFN

2 comments:

Angie said...

Nice to see/read you. This is really a hard time of year in Wisconsin and the extra snow is pretty but a pain. But the days are getting longer, hurray! Have you thought about getting one of the "sun" lamps?

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

Oh yeah, I know what you mean. Gray day after gray day after gray day. But we haven't had the snow you have had. It keeps missing us and seems to be stuck in the IA/WI path, with the Se corner of MN getting it as well.

Keep thinking Spring! It will be here soon.