Sunday, January 13, 2008

In which our heroine demonstrates she is as graceful as a whale on ice

We didn't make it to church this morning yet again. Zach was feeling bad last night and went to bed early with some cold medicine so I knew he wasn't going to make it. It's rare that he misses. He so loves church. But I was up off and on as usual and saw that it was snowing furiously about 3 a.m. and had already left a couple of inches on top of the three we already had so I shut the alarm off and went back to bed.

I just had no energy to clear the driveway off (not to mention the five inches of snow on the car) before going to church. Especially while Tom sat at the computer playing solitaire.

So he said he was going to shovel snow today since Zach was sick in bed but by 2:00 he hadn't gotten dressed yet and was still at the computer playing solitaire so I got bundled up and went out to shovel. He said he planned on doing it before he went to work but I didn't want to wait until 9 p.m. to get it shoveled.

I was almost done (remember we do the neighbor's walk and porch, as well) when I heard the door open and looked up to see Zach all bundled up. Tom went into his room and told him to get out of bed and help me shovel snow. (Well, he asked him in such a way that left him no room to refuse.) Then he went to bed.

I was really peeved and told Zach we would go get a few things at the grocery. There's no way I can go meatless as long as I live with Tom. He has fixed bacon every day since I started it. And he knows bacon is my weakness. I didn't give in but I found myself eating everything else in the house.

I'm going back to counting calories, I guess. It's really the only thing that has worked and I needed some sugar-free snacks to eat.

I was walking across the parking lot and stepped on some black ice and went down like a rock on my left leg. Right in front of a car. Bless his heart, this young man stopped and rolled his window down to see if I was alright. Zach was trying his best to help me up but I felt like a beached whale. I couldn't get my footing because I was on a solid sheet of ice. I would try to get up and slip right back down. Three times. Eventually, though, I managed to get up and get to the car. When I got in and sat down I was able to give in a bit to the pain. Oh, mercy it hurt. I skinned my knee and bruised it badly but aside from some soreness in my hip, that's all the harm I did.

Some days I am okay but other days I feel like a caged prisoner. I wonder if I can continue to live like this.

Masterpiece starts anew tonight with some Jane Austin. It looks good so I plan on knitting on a cabled cardigan I started last night. It's in one of my knitting magazines, which I will attempt to photograph tomorrow. I'm pretty pleased with the way it's turned out. Cabling was a huge problem for me but I'm using combination knitting and it's much tighter than it used to be. I still have some loose stitches though. I don't know how some people do it so neatly.

I knitted a few rows with the sock yarn from heaven. I know what people mean when they say yarn makes them happy. This stuff really does that. I may have to marry it.

Off to knit and wait for Persuasion.



Kay said...

I'm sitting here, waiting for the Jane Austen thing, too! Enjoy!

AlisonH said...

Take good care of yourself. Sometimes sprains and even breaks don't really start hurting till the next day (typed the woman who once fell off her roof and sprained both ankles).

Angie said...

Ouch! Ice pack and aspirin? I hope you feel better soon.