Thursday, November 15, 2012

I'm still here

Can't believe it's been almost a week since I last posted.  I am still sleeping fairly well.  I had one bad night that resulted in me putting my room back the way it was since the arrangement wasn't helping me sleep after all.  The inconvenience was a pain but worth the effort if I was getting sleep.  Not so much if I wasn't.

I had to stop working on the baby blanket to knit up a pair of flip-top mittens for Tom for hunting.  I have no idea what happened to all our mittens but they aren't in the bag I keep that stuff in.  So I'm knitting him a new pair out of the Fisherman's Wool from Lion Brand.  I absolutely love how they're turning out and we all will have our own pair before it gets too much colder.

Tom is leaving tomorrow for deer hunting.  I have one more thing to get him for the trip and then I will work on laundry and cleaning.  It's hard to clean before he leaves so I'll do that afterward.  But the laundry  must be done ahead of time.  He needs some clean clothes to take with him.

I don't have any great plans for Thanksgiving except our annual trip to Pizza Hut on the day before.  Probably just frozen dinners with a pumpkin pie on the side.  I haven't cooked for T-day for around 17 years.  It's just not a big day for me.  When Zach was little, Tom was always out to sea around that time and when he got out of the Navy, he was gone deer hunting.  I've been invited to other people's houses but honestly the stress of trying to socialize with people you don't really know never appealed to me so I would graciously decline the invitation.  I do wish I were more social but attempting it one day a year with a crowd of people in a small house makes me nuts.  I did have one big family dinner here once and it was more than I ever want to do again.  The people were fine.  The house was too small and I spent the majority of the time finishing up the cooking by myself in the tiny kitchen so it's just not worth it.

I do plan on a lot of knitting while he's gone since I don't plan on doing a lot of cleaning after I get it all straightened up.  And cooking will be simple and plain.  I just don't want to spend my whole time cleaning and cooking.  It's the closest I get to a vacation, even though I still have all my regular chores to do.  And I still have laundry and cooking, even if it's not elaborate meals.  And of course, the kitchen has to be cleaned up daily as well.  Sigh.  I've never had a real vacation in our whole marriage.  Or before that either, come to think of it.

Anyway.  I hope to get the baby blanket done and a pair of socks for Zach in addition to some flip top mittens for me and Zach and some socks for Tom.  Then I've got tons of WIPs to finish up.  Or rip back.  I have to put a dent in this stash of yarn.

The sun is shining today and the birds have nearly emptied the feeder so I need to refill that as well.  We've killed 8 mice so far in the traps.  I had to resort to kill traps instead of humane as I think the mice were coming back in.  We haven't seen or heard a mouse in a few days so I'm hoping they're all gone.  I hate to kill them but they were in my stove, leaving droppings in my pots and pans so I had to wash them every time I needed to use them.  Plus they were way too close to my food and that I will not tolerate.  I can't afford to be merciful when there is risk of our health involved.

Well, I need to get dressed and get to town to finish up the shopping and then get the laundry finished up.

TTFN

No comments: