Monday, November 26, 2012

Been a while

Tom was gone last week hunting and brought back half a deer.  They share out their deer in the camp but this one he shot.  First thing on opening day.  One other hunter got a deer as well. So he got home a bit early yesterday, before I was even out of bed, and started processing the meat.  We had bought him a set of knives for processing a few years ago so he was thrilled to use them.  It was also nice to see him doing it instead of me.  I had processed one deer years ago with our crappy knives and swore never to do it again.  Now we have meat in the freezer.  Yay!

For me the week wasn't great.  Depression being what it is, it left me in a funk so I didn't get anything much done while he was gone.  Hardly any knitting at all.  Not much cleaning and very little cooking.  I would have been better off if I had just stopped fighting it and rode it out.  'Cause once I did that, it resolved itself more quickly.  I never learn.

But I am back to knitting again.  Nearly finished with the baby blanket.  I just need to finish up the end trim and weave in the ends, wash it and get it off to my daughter and her husband for their new baby.  I finished up my wool socks and one of Zach's, started on the other one and plan on starting Tom's mittens after I finish up the blanket.  And from now on I plan on using up my stash.

We're in super tightwad lockdown from now on.  I have to get back to where we used to be in that regard.  I don't think we will ever be able to relax again.  We have to start fixing the house up, putting money back into the house.  Even if it's just decorative.  Plus we need to get some money in savings again.  I don't think I will ever trust the economy again.

I've got a load of clothes out on the line.  It's around freezing but it's windy so they won't freeze.  It will take a day or two to dry but they will dry.  Whites and socks I'll dry in the dryer because they take forever to hang up and don't feel great on the feet.  I won't be able to hang up all the clothes inside on racks this winter, but I can use the dryer partly and hang them up on the racks when they're partly dry. That will save some money a bit.

We're going to see a movie this week.  Zach has been wanting to see Wreck-it Ralph so we're going tomorrow.  The Hobbit is coming out soon but we'll wait until after the holidays because I don't do well in crowded movie theaters.  And we only do matinees.  We only do one movie a year normally but we haven't gone for a few years so two this year will be okay.

I'll also be doing more cooking from scratch.  I had debated getting another bread machine but I think I'll just go back to making it by hand instead.  The problem in winter is the house not being warm enough for the bread to rise, but I'm working on using a candle to heat under my bread mixing pan, which is stainless steel.  I just need a rack under it so it's not too close.  Tea candles last several hours so they should work well.

Which means less time online.  I have been losing interest in the internet lately but I had thought it was the depression.  But I think I'm getting more interested in things going on here so I plan on spending less time on facebook and stuff.  I'll keep up with my blogs though, because I do still like writing them.

But for now, I've got to put the load of whites in the dryer and get another load started, get Zach up so we can go to the store and pay bills.  And then get something going for supper.  I have a chicken laid out so I think roast chicken for supper tonight.  I need to make tortillas this week and maybe some noodles as well.  I'll work on the bread next week.  Right now the freezer is full of venison so I don't have room to freeze any bread.  And I want to make at least 4 loaves at a time.  It's more economical.

TTFN


No comments: