Thursday, October 1, 2009

It's really autumn now

I'm training myself to cough and sneeze into my elbow. It's not that easy when for 56 years you've been coughing and sneezing into your hands. But I'm getting there. It's not that I'm sick or anything. Just normal sneezes and coughs. My flu shot is holding so far. I think I will get the H1N1 shot this year. I haven't been really sick for more than 3 years, I think. I'm probably overdue.

Finishing up Living Dead in Dallas reminded me that I hadn't seen the season finale of True Blood so I finished it up last night at around 4 a.m. while I was busy not sleeping. Again. Wasn't the dog. Bless his heart, he's been so good. Resigned to the barking collar but not happy about it. And has only needed it twice in several days.

Anyway...I thought the season finale was pretty good. Actually it was excellent.

And while I was also not sleeping I watched The Changeling with Angelina Jolie. Another excellent movie. I would not work out well as a movie critic because I like nearly all that I watch. I don't get all the criticism because I watch for...get this...entertainment. I know...what a concept, huh?

And rounding it out I finally fell asleep during one of the really good Angel episodes. Isn't that the way it always works out?

Of course I woke up 2 hours later to let Professor out to wee and decided if I went back to bed I'd stay there until noon. So I just stayed up. And have been dragging all day.

No, I wasn't awake because of the dog. Nope, this time it was a two-legged variety who yelled at the cat and then poked his head into my room to announce why he had yelled at the cat. My lights were off and he knows I go to sleep with the timer on the television but what can I say? I had had just enough sleep to lose my edge.

Early to bed tonight.

Dance of the Dissident Daughter was in at the library so I drove into town to get it and made a side trip to the credit union so Zach could transfer the money he owes us into our account. I know I should put it down on the credit card (because that's where the money went in the first place to pay for Zach's tuition until we got his financial aid) but I keep thinking of a bleak and cold winter and I'm not going to live with 55 degree temps this year. Not to mention it looks like another round of layoffs at Tom's work and I don't want to be unprepared if the plant ever shuts down. I don't see it happening, but I didn't see this economic slump coming either. I'm not plugged in that way.

So, the money stays in savings if we need to whittle away at it to pay for heat and if I have the money left over in the spring, then we'll put it on the card and knock the balance down. I'm just afraid of being too vulnerable again.

It's pretty cold and rainy today and while the thermostat shows the temperature at around 58 F I'm not going to turn the heat on yet. I don't have the winterizing done and no heat until that happens. I plan on buying some of the things I need tomorrow and getting a few windows already sealed up and plastic put on them. Then I'll add a few things each week. We need to mow the yard once more, too. I was going to help Zach with it today but he was working on projects for school and it was cold and windy anyway. Maybe tomorrow afternoon.

Off to curl up under the covers and work on my beaded scarf, socks and maybe Oblique. I got a new book from the library on art so I plan on setting aside time each day for that as well as writing. Not a bad day in spite of my headache (just allergies.)

TTFN

No comments: