Thursday, October 15, 2009

Duct tape and the boob blowout

Duct tape is a pretty versatile tool when working around the house. As I mentioned in a previous post, the front storm door window is only held in by one screw and should that fall out, the glass would break and we would be up that proverbial stream sans paddle, if you get my drift. So I taped all the way around it using duct tape. Tom wasn't happy as it will leave a "residue." Who cares? It's better than trying to buy a new door because we wouldn't be able to replace the glass window.

Duct tape is also good for keeping plastic on the windows when said plastic won't stick to the blasted tape that comes with the kit. I used it to seal up those areas that were pulling away and now it's as good as new.

I also used it on the section on the back hallway where the floor is separating. Actually I used it to tape the cardboard down to cover it. Underneath that floor is the patio that the previous owner built this addition over...without any foundation or anything...just planted a small room over the patio. And since the patio is settling into the ground, guess what happens to the addition...you guessed it...it's pulling away. Come January we won't even be able to shut the back door unless we stop using it now and seal it off. Hey! Another good use for duct tape.

But the best use for it came the other night when I was getting ready for bed. (This part might be a bit TMI but there's no way to tell the story without all the information so let's just get on with it.) I took my bra off and pulled my prosthesis out of the cup and noticed a sticky subtance on the outer cover for it. Sure enough, when I pulled it out the whole prosthesis was split up the back and the silicone gel was oozing out everywhere. Now...it's not like you can go to the boob store and get a new one. And it's not like I wanted to be seen out in public with only one boob so I duct-taped that puppy like there was no tomorrow. Next week I'll see about getting a prescription from the doctor and making an appointment to replace it but for now it will do. Unfortunately it's like having a solid rock in my bra...not soft and squooshy anymore. I tried to make a prosthesis using a pattern from knitty.com, but I needed three rocks in it to get the "hang" I needed to match the real one and you talk about hard and uncomfortable...eeek.

It's been 8 years so I'm pretty sure the insurance company will replace it. At least I hope they will. I sure can't afford to replace it on my own. Plus, I intend to get some new mastectomy bras as well since those are 8 years old, too.

Now I'm off to finish winterizing the back hallway and call it a day. I'm sure more duct tape will be called for before the project is complete.

TTFN

2 comments:

knittingdragonflies said...

Any man would be proud of you! How creative! Have you ever seen the knitted "boobs" they look soft and nice.
Vicki
http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATTbits.html

Kathy said...

I've got a knitted one but I need three rocks to make it sag as well as the real one and it's not terribly uncomfortable. Otherwise, the fake one lives in another plane from the real one and looks really strange.