Friday, October 16, 2009

Today he is a man

Well, I thought he was a pretty good one before today but officially he became an adult today. Twenty-one years old. He had an interview with a computer company for an internship which hopefully he will get. The man who interviewed him has to talk to the board of directors but will let him know by Monday. I sure hope this pans out as time is ticking away and before long it will be impossible to make the hours he needs for his internship.

I'm reading a really good book called The Body Sacred by Dianne Sylvan. She makes a lot of sense about how skewed society is toward the beautiful and the skinny and that historically the pleasingly plumb have been favored more. Okay I'm not pleasingly plump but it would be nice to stop putting my life on hold until I can lose this weight. Get healthy? Yeah. But that's not what my mindset is. Women need to learn to love themselves as they are and society teaches them the opposite...to love the standard that is impossible to meet. 'Twill be a hard lesson but I'm game. Anything is better than all this self-hatred.

I got some fixings for the birthday party after church...a cheese plate and nuts, cake and ice cream, paper plates and cups, etc. Unfortunately we will be dipping into savings again. And yet, you only turn 21 once in your life. How could I not give him at least a small party?

I looked at patterns to make Professor a new sweater since he's...ahem...outgrown his old one. I didn't really see one I liked so I thought I would just buy one but they're twice as much as they were last year. Ten dollars!! Last year they were five. So...back to my pattern search.

I cast on the left front of Oblique last night but it was late and my bedroom dark and I'm knitting with black yarn so I put it off until today or even tomorrow. I need to work on socks anyway so I can get them to my sister in time for her to give the men's pair to her new beloved. The socks I'm knitting now are for her since all she's gotten from me are the worsted weight socks that don't fit in her shoes. I'm knitting Jaywalkers and I think she'll like the colors: purple and teal. Perfect colors for the mature woman.

I have more windows to put plastic on tonight but I think I'll limit myself to the window on the north wall of my bedroom because I'm going to push the bed back up against the wall so I've got room to walk around in my room. As it stands now I am walking sideways through the room. Six inches could make a lot of difference. Plus I want to vacuum and do a cleansing in there as well. I need to change my altar for Samhain. Tom made a big production of announcing that he doesn't like Halloween for religious reasons. I remained silent but I think I'll take a walk that night and do what I can in my own way. I still don't have my fairy garden set up. I hope to have that done before Samhain and maybe I can circle back around after my walk on the 31st and light a candle on my outdoor altar without him noticing. It's behind the garage but from the upstairs window you can see where I will be putting things so it's impossible to do if he happens to look outside.

Well, I must get moving or nothing will happen beyond me falling asleep by 7 p.m. tonight. The pets were a pain last night so I didn't get a lot of sleep. This time the cat kept waking me up wanting to cuddle under the covers and kept digging his claws into my face to wake me up. At least he didn't hook a claw in my nose this time. Ouch!!

And just for the record, I have the best two sons anyone would ever want.

TTFN

No comments: