Saturday, February 21, 2009

The kindness of neighbors

Wow!

It's been an overwhelming couple of days.  I went down to the basement to do laundry yesterday while Zach and Tom were both at work and found a huge wet spot on the floor under where the toilet sits in the bathroom.  Now, I had told Tom a year ago that the toilet was leaking but he said it wasn't so I let it go.  My fault for not following up, but to be fair to myself, you can't remind Tom of things that need to be done because that's "nagging."  It's one of those eggshells I sometimes trip over.

So I immediately went upstairs and peeled up the tile to discover the plywood flooring was warped and soaked and the toilet is leaking from the tank pretty steadily.  To the degree that the subflooring is wet as well.

I went pricing toilets but didn't buy anything because I wasn't sure of the measurements.  I told Tom when he got home but he didn't react at all.  This morning, not a word until I mentioned going to buy a toilet.

Which isn't as easy as it sounds because there is 5-6 inches of snow out there now and more coming.

Which brings us to the neighbor thing.  Zach and I were out there shoveling (while Tom was upstairs smoking cigarettes) and a neighbor came over with his snow-blower and did the whole driveway, including the snow that was banked from the snow plow.  And he did our neighbor's driveway as well.

I have really needed these acts of kindness in my life.  It's such a comfort to know that people care, especially when they don't have to.  And it inspires me to be more aware of those around me who need those acts as well.  Less focus on me and my pity parties and more on those who just need a smile or a small act of kindness.

Although I really need the toilet fixed and am wondering if I'm going to have to do it myself.  I'm on the fourth bath towel soaking up the water and he still hasn't looked at it.

And we only have the one bathroom so we're hosed if we can't get it fixed quickly.  And we certainly can't afford to replace the whole flooring.

We'll see how it works out.

I got some knitting done on the shawl last night.  Finished up Midsomer Murders but it was set 1, not set 2.  I get confused because the first episodes are called set 5 because there are five episodes in the set.  Now I have Blue Murder set 3.  I'm on the list for Doctor Who, series 3.  I'm so hooked on that now.  And series 3 of Torchwood is coming to BBCA soon.  I was beginning to regret getting BBCA back in the lineup.  They have nothing on that I want to watch except for Monty Python, Little Britain and Catherine Tate.

The Welsh courses are a bit disappointing because they're just books, not tapes or cds.  It's hard for me to "hear" the sounds from their descriptions but I found a course on a BBC site that has sound so between the books and the website I might do okay.  If I just can set aside time to actually do it. 

Well, I'm off to get some stuff done.  Maybe some reading and knitting but it's hard for me to get any work done when Tom is home.  It's a tiny house and he tends to be wherever it is I'm working.  

TTFN

No comments: