Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Someday my spring will come

I took the camera with me but forgot to take any pictures so I thought I might as well show one of the few WIPs I've actually got going on.


A close up of the Irish Knit Shawl from Red Heart leaflet 1128. I like the lace part of it and the ease of memorization of the pattern is a big plus.

I'm using I Can't Believe I Love this Yarn from Hobby Lobby. It's a light sage green and pretty true to the picture.

I think I might finally knit this yarn up without any more trips to the frog pond. Which means eventually I'm going to have to buy yarn again.


Random musings:


I don't get Chekhov. No, not the ensign from the Enterprise.


Anton Chekhov, writing of Russian plays.

I watched a rendition of The Cherry Orchard last night from 1962 starring some impressive names: Peggy Ashcroft, John Gielguld, Roy Dotrice (who stole the show in my opinion), Judi Dench, Ian Holm. The acting was great. The camera work...well, let's just say things have improved over the years. There was one scene when the camera panned out and must have run over a cable because the whole screen jiggled a bit.

But I just don't get that kind of play. Depressing at best, boring at worst. I guess I just have plebeian tastes. Maybe I need to watch more Chekhov or at the least both read him and about him to get it.

I had to have some Buffy afterward to reset my brain.

I'm trying to improve my brain. It hasn't had a lot of exercise in the past few years.

Speaking of exercise. Neither has my decrepit body. I must get in shape, especially this close to summer. Which might just come this year after all. Our driveway is still half ice to the degree that getting into the car is similar to a clown show at the circus. Trying to grab the door and open it while leaning across the driveway and holding on for dear life once my feet meet the icy slope and trying to slide into the seat while sliding past the car....well you get the picture.

But I've seen grass. Dead, brown grass. But grass nonetheless. Someday the world will be green again and I will be complaining about the heat. Maybe I need to work on that contentment thing from the Bible. Ya think?

Got a Christmas card today from a friend living in Australia. I would say it got lost in the mail if I didn't know Jessica better. I'm guessing she just mailed it.

I'm still struggling with fatigue but the depression is a bit better. I think the sunshine helps a lot since I couldn't remember to take the St. John's Wort. I slept in today and feel much better for it. Now I just need to get control of my eating.

Speaking of eating, last week in Wendy's there were two kids just running around, not really bothering anyone, not being the least bit loud. But the adults with them started yelling at them and each other placing the blame on the other adult for these kids (around 4 and 5 years) being out of control (?) to the degree that I wanted to smack them upside the head. The kids weren't nearly as annoying as the adults.

One thing that gets to me when I watch people is how some people treat their kids. One of my pet peeves is hearing parents talk about their kids like they can't stand them. Especially with their kids within hearing. I not only love my kids, I also like them. I can't say they never gave me any grief, but not enough to belittle them.

Well, I need to make supper and finish up the laundry.

TTFN

4 comments:

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

Your shawl is looking great; keep up the good work! And soon the grass will be greener than your beautiful shawl!

enthusiastic crochetoholic said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. The shawl looks great. If you do manage to control your eating can you pass on a few tips because I sure need them! I have this affair with food. If I feel depressed then I eat and unfortunately I have had a few bad weeks lately so the weight has really stacked on. Sigh.

Jan

Vicki Knitorious said...

I can see dead brown grass, too, and it gives me the same crazy sense of hope! ; )

I am with you 100% regarding how I feel about my kids, and how awful it is to see how some parents treat their own, directly and indirectly. I shouldn't have been surprised, I guess, but I've stopped reading some blogs because of the same attitude.

Mad about Craft said...

The shawl is a lovely colour and I like the lace pattern, can't wait to see the finished article.

I'm glad you are feeling a bit better. Don't be too hard on yourself, you have made strides with the depression, take baby steps and you will get there in the end.

love Ailsa