Thursday, December 27, 2007

Warning! Snark attack.

I'm almost done with the Ocean socks. I might have finished last night (or at 6 a.m. this morning when I was up still knitting for reasons I will discuss later) but I held up the second sock next to the first one and discovered I had an extra pattern repeat on it so I had to frog back, pick up stitches and turn the heel again.

I hope to finish tonight. I really need the extra socks. I can't find the pair I knitted last summer. I'm sure they will show up by spring. Or maybe August, more likely.

These are snug, which I like. My other Woolease socks are huge on me. They grow with each wearing.


This is what I got in the in-law gift exchange. My sil's boyfriend had my name and bought me some Lion Brand Organic cotton in pecan (one skein) and a pair of size 17 wooden knitting needles with my initials burned into the top. I've been searching my stash of books and patterns and all the available online patterns to see what I can make with one skein and I think I've settled on a cloche of some kind. I thought about a baby hat and booties but I wouldn't want baby things that had to be hand-washed so I won't do that to anyone else. Especially since the only person I know right now who is pregnant is a doctor and I'm sure she doesn't have time to do any of that.

I can't get over how soft this cotton is. I don't know if I can work with Peaches & Cream ever again.


Well, of course I can. I'm versatile.

I guess my sil liked my gift. I knitted a pair of socks, a cloche and the Creeping Fern scarf. Or whatever the heck I named it. And I knitted a wee sock out of Christmas yarn (and it came out beautifully striped) as an ornament. Apparently her mother had knitted her one years ago and she lost it so she was glad to get another one.

I've got one sleeve to go on Zach's Janda. And the hood. I didn't mind the pink in Red Heart but the black was a nightmare. Not only was it so coarse to the touch but it was a different gauge. I had two skeins of Woolease left over so I used that for the sleeves. The gauge was near-identical and the feel of it is similar. Why is one color soft and another like cardboard?

I think I am done with Red Heart aside from what I have left in my stash. And that is a considerable amount.

So I'm not sleeping these days. Tom came home from hunting with some life-changing news and I haven't slept a full night since. Plus, I've gained nearly 20 of my hard-fought pounds back. I really hate it when I don't get to be part of decision-making but that's the way it's been for 21 years.

Christmas was a bummer but that's not a surprise either.

My dad is doing much better. I've talked to him twice this week and he really sounds good. That is the best Christmas gift.

I got season 3 of Hamish Macbeth from the library last week. I hadn't seen the two part series ender. Wow. I would have cried but Tom came in during the climax scene and started talking to me while standing in front of the tv. After he left and I rewound it, it just wasn't the same.

I'll shut up now.

Off to knit some more. I've rediscovered the joy of knitting these past few weeks. Now if I could rediscover the joy of UFOs.

TTFN

1 comment:

Mad about Craft said...

I am so sorry things are difficult at present. I hope it all gets better, especially with Tom.