Monday, December 3, 2007

Creeping Fern Scarf



Stitch pattern most likely from Barbara Walker's Treasury. I've seen it out there in many incarnations.

Materials: Any worsted weight yarn or lighter, depending on what you desire. I used Caron Simply Soft Tweed in Sage. I used two skeins of it with a bit left over in the second skein, but you can make it as long as you want. If I had more time I probably would have made it longer.

Dimensions: 58 inches by 7 inches. If you use wool, it will probably block wider but I used acrylic so I didn't bother blocking.

Needles: I used size 8 circulars because they are easier on my shoulders. You could use straight needles as well. Again, needles size will depend on what you're looking for in the finished product.

Gauge: Not important. You can adjust this pattern to make as many repetitions as you want so the kind of yarn and size of needles is entirely up to you.

This is my first pattern so I hope it's okay. Feel free to use it and abuse it. Make a ton of money off of it if you can. Since the main part is the pattern stitch, I hardly feel like I can lay claim to the pattern exclusively. Anyone could come up with this. And probably has.

And now...onto the pattern.

Cast on 33 stitches.**

Knit 6 rows garter stitch.

Row 1 of pattern: Knit 3, p1, k1, p1,*k2tog, k2, yo, k1, yo, k2, sl 1, k1, psso, p1, k1, p1. Repeat from * one time to last three stitches, k3.

Row 2 (and all even rows): K3, purl to last 3 stitches, k3.

Row 3: K3, p1, k1, p1, *k2tog, k1, yo, k3, yo, k2, sl 1, k1, psso, p1, k1, p1. Repeat from * one time to last three stitches, k3.

Row 4: K3, purl to last 3 stitches, k3.

Row 5: K3, p1, k1, p1, *k2tog, k1, yo, k5, yo, sl 1, k1, psso, p1, k1, p1. Repeat from * one time to last 3 stitches

Row 6: K3, purl to last 3 stitches, k3.

Repeat these six rows until you achieve the length you want.

Knit 6 rows garter stitch. Bind off loosely, weave in ends.

**If you want to make it wider, simply add 12 stitches per pattern repeat. I added 3 stitches (p1,k1, p1) to the first pattern repeat for symmetry. The pattern itself is a 12 stitch pattern.

ETA: I already found a mistake. I put the row repeat too soon. It should start with the k2tog on each odd numbered row.

1 comment:

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

Very nice,thanks for the pattern!