Saturday, August 3, 2013

Time to sort my priorities

Continuing to make progress with my health.  I'm eating totally vegetarian now although I am using milk and the occasional egg in my diet.  Not sure I will ever go fully vegan but we will see.  I'm knitting more now because I've decided to spend a lot less time on facebook.  It's like a vampire that sucks all my time and life so I'm only going to check it once a day for messages.  It's a love/hate relationship.  I love the people I've met there and learn some good stuff, but it takes so fricking long to read anything because my computer lags badly.  Even if it didn't lag it still takes a long, long time to get caught up.

I have a lot of knitting to catch up on in addition to the extra cooking I'm doing and the other crafts I want to work on as well.  Still not reading as much as I would like though.  But I hope that will come with time. 

Zach's sweater if coming along.  I'm almost to the point I was when I had to rip back and start over.  It's a really nice cable pattern, easy to memorize.  I haven't decided on Stephen's patter yet.  I want to finish up the socks first.  And possibly the little girl's sweater.  I've totally lost interest in it but I do think I should finish it up.  Same with the feather and fan blanket, although I know my interest will return on that one soon.  It's a pattern I can work on while online or while reading so when I get to the point where I'm reading again, I'll prop the book up (or use my Kindle) and knit away.

I'm making progress catching up on the cleaning as well.  Not huge leaps and bounds, but I am catching up slowly.  I'm still not allowed to do general housecleaning although I'm not far off from it so I work, but slowly and take frequent breaks.  Today is mostly knitting and cooking though.  I don't have rehab today but I am tired from the week of rehab, cooking and cleaning so I am taking the day off.  Supper will be simple for everyone tonight.  A taco/rice dish for the guys and potatoes/corn/green peppers/ mushroom casserole for me.  I'm just going to make it up as I go along. 

I've got some vegetarian cookbooks from the library but most of the meals call for ingredients that are expensive or impossible to get so I'm just getting ideas from them.  I work better when I'm just winging it anyway.

Off to do more knitting.  I've done half my exercise already and had my lunch of salad and home made cornbread without salt.  I used curry by mistake when making it.  I thought I had the cumin.  But it turned out really good so I plan on putting curry in next time as well.  I don't miss the salt so much and Zach didn't seem to notice it at all.

The store now carries Earth Balance, a vegan "butter" but I plan on using up what I've got now...Smart Balance, an olive oil/margarine combination.  We'll see.  I don't use soy much because my breast cancer was highly hormone receptive and soy has phytoestrogen in it.  No proof one way or another but I prefer to be cautious.  I use rice milk instead.  Tried almond milk but didn't like the taste.  I can drink rice milk on its own.  Not so much soy.  Still, I'm limited on fluids so I don't drink milk at all now.

I miss coffee a bit but I will probably drink tea in the cold months.  Instead of ice drinks.

Off to knit.

No comments: