Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Pacing myself

I am exhausted.  The pace of early morning appointments seems to have slowed down for now, at least.  I had to be in Waupan at 9 a.m. for an appointment with the cardiologist on Friday and then in Fond du Lac at 6 a.m. on Monday.  Which meant we had to leave here at 5 a.m.  The stress test is done, though, and I just await the results, which I should be getting soon, I hope.  I saw the cardiologist briefly during the stress test, which is why I had it up in FdL, so he could be there.  They had pushed fluids on me for the test so I had used up my daily allotment before 10 a.m.  I was so tired that I overdid it on both food and liquids that day and ended up short of breath on Tuesday so I took a full Lasix instead of half, which the dr had reduced me to.  I dropped 5 of the 7 pounds I picked up that day.  I won't do that again.

I haven't done a lot of cleaning but I have been doing some cooking and a bit of laundry, although I don't carry it up and down the stairs.  Today I'm going to work on the dining room.  I think that will improve my mood more than anything else...having the main room clean.  Then some more laundry and some more cooking.  I'm fixing 2 meals at for them and one for me.  Theirs is generally very simple to fix so it's not a lot of work.  Mine take a bit more thought.

I'm working on the purple sock for my baby sister.  I just got to the heel flap last night when I needed to just shut everything down and go to sleep.  I think I was snoring by 10 p.m.  Woke up at 8:30 a.m. but still didn't feel rested.  I can't recall the last time I did feel refreshed by sleep, though, so that's not surprising.  More knitting today but I also want to get busy on some other crafts as well.  I'd love to pick up my pencils again and get back into drawing.  I had gotten to a good point a couple of years ago and then just quit for some reason so I have to practically start over again now.  That's what has been putting me off of it...the whole starting over thing.

It's sunny and gorgeous here today.  I need to get the new clothesline up.  The winter snow destroyed the old one, breaking and generally grungy looking.  Zach will have to do it because I can walk and stuff but I can't lift and I think tugging on a clothesline is the equivalent of lifting.  I also need to refill the bird feeders and see if the baby birds have left their nests under the front awnings so I can extend them.  The sun is particularly bright in the front rooms.  I haven't heard any noises coming from the awnings in a couple of weeks so I hope they're gone by now.

Well, I think I'll go make my bed and put the clothes in the dryer for now.  And I will be taking my time cleaning.  No mad frenzies for me for a while.


AthertonCA said...


You are handling this situation with grace and equanimity. I don't know how many people could do that. Do you think the CFS was actually undiagnosed congestive heart failure? I wish the best for you.


Kathy said...

Aw...thanks. I've been wondering about the last year of incredible fatigue. I'm pretty sure that was the congestive heart failure because it was so much worse than I had had for the 24 previous years. This was debilitating fatigue. But hindsight being 20/20 and all...