Sunday, June 22, 2008

Here comes the thunder

Yet another storm coming in. Yesterday Professor was outside and I was watching from the front door when I saw a bright flash of lightening. Concerned because his leash had metal on it, I called to him but thunder happened just at that moment. Loud thunder. He crouched and looked around trying to figure out where it came from. And then he skedaddled into the house very quickly. All afternoon after that someone was either shooting at something or slamming something that sounded very much like gunfire and Professor was a mess, barking hysterically.

Since we live so close to the edge of town, we do hear gunfire fairly frequently.

Not fun.

So it just started thundering again and he slept through it. Didn't even raise his ears.

I do love the smell of rain even though we've had more than our share of it of late. I talked to some people at church this morning who have had more damage than we have. I count my blessings.

And even more blessings. Things are improving here at home all the way around. Well, except for the finances. Those are a lost cause, I think. But Tom seems to be trying and while I am skeptical, I am willing to work with him. And so is Zach. We're planning a picnic for the fourth of July at Ledge Park, scroll down and note: flush toilets! It's not far from home and is a breathtakingly beautiful spot with lots of shade.

Zach and I have been bicycling around town. We discovered Thursday, though, not to do it on our side of the highway because it's all hills around here and I'm not in shape for that yet. There are plenty of hills on the other side, but it is flatter in spots so you can catch your breath in between. Not so on this side. I had to buy a bike though because the one Tom fixed up for me is way too short. I was nearly hitting my chin with my knees. Zach is really doing well with it and with him not wanting to get his license any time soon (more on that later) he needs to find alternate transportation. Fortunately he really likes bicycling. I just wish this area was more bike friendly. You can't even ride through the downtown area because of traffic congestion, and that is the only road through town because of the river. The side streets end at the river.

Oh, and my rear end hurts from the bicycle seat. They can put a man on the moon but we still have to endure hard bicycle seats.

Today on the way home from church a car coming toward us (at 55+ mph) lost a hubcap which made its way directly toward us at a pretty good speed. I was able to avoid it (it would have caused serious damage if I had hit it the way because of the direction and speed and my car sitting low to the ground) by slamming on the brakes (the car behind me wasn't terribly happy at nearly slamming into us but let that be a lesson to him not to tailgate anymore) but Zach lost his breath for a few seconds and I thought I was going to have to pull over and lay him out flat.

This is what people don't understand about OCD. It's not a character-trait that makes you anal about things. It's a mental disorder that affects how you handle situations. And this is not a person you want behind the wheel of the car ahead of you or coming at you.

End of rant.

I keep meaning to post pictures soon but I've been so very lazy about it. I want to show you the river which is still almost covering the park benches. And the socks I'm making. I got some yarn today to make baby Timothy from church his welcome to the world present. But primarily I've been spinning and fixing up things around the house. And bicycling.

Zach got his grades from last semester. All A's except for one B. I'm so proud. I just wish we could hear from the financial aid people since tuition for the fall classes is due soon.

I have some new blogs on the list to the left. Peg's Journey is my sister's blog about her sabbatical and trip to Europe. She's in Rome now. All my life I wanted to go there so at least I can go vicariously. I'm so happy for her to have this opportunity. The other blog is the Enthusiastic Crochetaholic. I found her by way of Aisla (who is one of my favorite people in blogdom). I did some culling of the herd because I really wasn't reading a lot of them. But these that are left are my favorites although some of the less-well-known-ones are higher up on the list than the more popular ones.

Well, off to start the pizza. I have to start about this time of day since I make it from scratch and the dough takes a while to rise.

TTFN

1 comment:

Mad about Craft said...

I am so glad things are improving, may they long do so!!!!!.

Thank you for your really sweet comment and I am really glad you are blogging again.

Jan at Enthusiatic crochetoholic is one of my favorite bloggers, I check her blog daily.