Thursday, October 8, 2009

Cold and wet and not ready for the furnace

It's now dark before 6:30 p.m. so I guess that means it really is heading toward winter. I wanted to put the storm windows on the back two windows (the ancient ones) but more errands today and then shopping because Tom needs the car tomorrow and the truck will be packed up for his trip up north for bow hunting so I won't be able to use it. I just didn't make it home early enough to get it done. Although I did get the storm window in the front door. Attrition has managed to leave us with only one screw holding the window in so I bought a huge roll of duct tape because duct tape is good for everything.

I will get the basement windows closed tonight though. It was mighty cold this morning when Professor woofed to let me know he needed to wee and needed to wee right now. At least with the basement windows closed it will be a bit warmer. I got more weather stripping, too, since the present batch came with the house some 50+ years ago. We're leaking water this month terribly. Zach's 21st birthday is coming up and I planned a party for him after church during coffee hour. It's gotten slimmed down to cake, ice cream and some cold cuts. Still have to somehow figure out a birthday gift in all that, too.

This weekend should be pretty laid back once I get all the winterizing done. Getting the yard mowed means I can now set up my meditation/fairy garden in time for the cold autumn nights to kick in. I'm opting for using the Weber grill for candles instead of a fire pit so I can move it back behind the garage, which will be a better wind break instead of in the middle of the yard. I'm looking forward to Samhain this year. I think. It's on a Saturday and Tom will be home. I hope to sneak outside to have my private time for that occasion. I never know if I'll manage it though.

I planned out some meals for Zach and me because Tom will be gone but I forgot to plan for tonight so I'm having trouble thinking of something. Grilled cheese and soup sounds pretty good to me but I don't know how Tom or Zach will feel about it. I got a lip curl from the boy when he went by so he may have to fend for himself.

I found a wooden box downstairs yesterday when I went foraging for the storm window and it's now being used as a step in front of the ottoman in front of the bed. Professor wouldn't use it last night but I did make him jump up from it instead of just picking him up and placing him on the bed. He's got such a long memory and pain is a pretty good incentive to remember his leg problems. I'll give it all the time it needs though to get him to use it. I pretty much have no room in my bedroom to move around because of it though. But it will be better than waking up a dozen times a night to put him back in bed.

I bought some more yarn at StuffMart today. They've got some Caron Eco on sale for $2 a skein so I've been buying up dye lots of it. I've probably spent about $20 so far but I have enough for a couple of sweaters so that's not a bad deal. They've been stocking up on more Caron but it's a better quality than they have had in the past. For those of us with acrylic budgets, that's a godsend. Or is that goddessend?

I finally got my medication re-filled. Twice now, the doctor's nurses have neglected to call my refills in and I ended up running out of my Meformin this week. I was out of town on Tuesday so I couldn't call the dr then and because of other running around yesterday didn't get to pick them up until today. I will definitely be letting the dr know when I see her again about this problem. I call them in, in plenty of time, giving them as much as 3 or 4 days but I still seem to wait over a week and end up with no meds. Not acceptable at all!

Off to fix soup and take care of the basement windows, then off to curl up in my warm bed and knit while watching Once Upon a Time in Mexico. It has been a Robert Rodriguez weekend. I watched Desperado last night. I probably should have gotten El Mariachi but didn't think of it until I got home from the library. After that, more Stargate Sg-1. I looked to see if I could get the second season next month but they don't seem to have them anymore. Dang! I'd hate to have to order them online but if I limit myself to one every other month or so, I think I can do it. They're not expensive.

Off to finish up my chores.

TTFN

No comments: